Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedez Benz SLK 230 R170
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1998 SLK 230, Black on Black, with 64,000miles (105,000kms)
The car only came with one flip key remote, I found a used one on Ebay with an already cut key. I'm looking at getting a replacement key and a spare with out a remote. I've researched on programming used remotes but the information is not always clear. Any suggestions, thoughts or advice?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld, used fobs cannot be reprogrammed simple.

·
52,804 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Is that also true if taken to my local Benz dealer?
Yes it is true, the simple fact is they cannot be reprogrammed and the dealer will sell you a new key that will be ordered using your vin number and will arrive programmed.

Having said that we can re programme them here as we have lots of crooks in China with the correct tech to do so LOL. But I am not going to get involved in crooked things.

·
52,804 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedez Benz SLK 230 R170
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the feedback. I should clarify, the car came with one fully functional flip key remote and everything works fine on it.
I bought a used original MB remote from Ebay as well as two empty FOB's with uncut keys. I need to replace the key on the used FOB or transfer the board and chip to one of the new empty fobs a local locksmith will cut the keys (has a new high security Laser key cutter) has ordered me a spare key(without a remote) that will be cut but I need to program these keys or will the synchronisation procedure work. Two local MB dealers want between $ 425.00 and $ 471.00 plus 15% taxes(Quebec) so I'm looking at around $ 490.00 to $ 545.00 for a new key!! for $200 to $250 I wouldn't have hesitated to order a spare one!!!

·
52,804 Posts
Thank you for all the feedback. I should clarify, the car came with one fully functional flip key remote and everything works fine on it.
I bought a used original MB remote from Ebay as well as two empty FOB's with uncut keys. I need to replace the key on the used FOB or transfer the board and chip to one of the new empty fobs a local locksmith will cut the keys (has a new high security Laser key cutter) has ordered me a spare key(without a remote) that will be cut but I need to program these keys or will the synchronisation procedure work. Two local MB dealers want between $ 425.00 and $ 471.00 plus 15% taxes(Quebec) so I'm looking at around $ 490.00 to $ 545.00 for a new key!! for $200 to $250 I wouldn't have hesitated to order a spare one!!!
The resync procedure is only used on keys that are already programmed for the car but for one reason or another have stopped functioning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.