Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI There -

Lurker for a while here.....I currently have an 09 G55 which I use as my daily driver. We love it - the family loves it and its really a great truck to drive every day.

When I bought my G, I was coming out of an S550 lease and needed a change from the boring nature of the S - There was a G on the showroom floor, I drove it and I bought it - done.

Its been about a year now with the car, and I see some nicer interior options (two tone with baseball glove brown and black - sweet) that I like better.

Porsche offered me basically what I paid for the car to trade for a new Cayenne Turbo - I dont want a Cayenne Turbo.

I called my MB dealer and he told me that there is no way i can get into a 2010 or 2011 G55 - That all allocations are sold and the cars are even more limited in production than ever before.

Is there any truth to this?

I would imagine if the demand is there for a $120+K automobile, the company would produce more.

Anyone know the production numbers for current G550's/G55's? My dealer told me less than 400 cars a year total - less than 100 G55's for the US for 2010.

Would love to know if there is any truth to this from anyone in the know.

Thanks and I appreciate your assistance!

Best regards,

asg

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
In Sept 2005, the assembly plant was producing 23 G's per day or 115/week. That included all models, including military. Keep in mind that there are a lot of military models going all over the world.

MBUSA has never really wanted to sell the G - ergo their very small allocation out of that total production.

See here for a few shots:

G-Class Assembly Photo Gallery by DUTCH van Atlanta at pbase.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great shots!

Thanks Dutch! Some great shots! I'd love a G55 in that bright blue color -

Anyway - so, you seem to think there is some truth to this "rumor" that the number of G55's in the US per year is less than 100....

By your numbers, you estimate that there are just about 7,000 G's in all variants, military, consumer etc produced annually.

Thanks for the reply -

Anyone agree/disagree with this?

Thanks,

asg

·
Registered
10 G55
22 Posts
Yup very limited. I worked with four dealerships in 2008 when I wanted a black G55 with a designo interior and at the end only one could get me the car I wanted.

Where are you located, ASG?
MB of Manhattan had a black 2011 G55 last week. As far as I understand this dealership is an "official" one and they can, in most cases, get you any car in no time. I know a great salesperson there so let me know if you would like to contact him.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
MB of Manhattan had a black 2011 G55 last week. As far as I understand this dealership is an "official" one and they can, in most cases, get you any car in no time. I know a great salesperson there so let me know if you would like to contact him.
Just don't take it there for service!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks -

I'm in Bergen County NJ - We have Prestige MB in Paramus - they "claim" they are one of the highest volume dealers in the US. They just claim that all inventory is sold and there is nothing left for 10 and 11.

Also - Something I read somewhere states that production is slated for the G series vehicles until 2015, and that there is no clear indication that the vehicle will be produced after 2015. Anyone have any insight?

From what I can see.....And with the tightening emissions standards in the US....Get your G's while you can!

Thanks,

asg

·
Registered
10 G55
22 Posts
Prestige MB in Paramus... That's one of the 4 dealers that I dealt in 2008.
Heard the same thing from them about the highest volume blah blah blah.
I left a $1,000 deposit for the car that they promised will be ready for pick-up in a month. Surprise-surprise one month down the road I get a call from the dealer saying that they can't get the car :) and they need to star all-over (either find another car or order from the factory). Pure BS.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,104 Posts
I thought "Wolfgang" was the East-Coast G-Wagen Repair Guru...

Wolfgang's Inc - 1-201-568-7380 • 265 County Rd., Tenafly, NJ

I lived in Bergenfield as a kid for a year... aren't you close to Tenafly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm also in Bergen County, NJ. I just put a deposit down a White G550 with black interior (the brown interior looks bad in my opinion).

That was very hard to find, although I finally was able to track one down. Although now you guys have me scared about whether they will come back with some BS about not being able to get the car, etc.

Anyway, my suggestion is to look at the new cars for sale on New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice and give them a call. I searched on there for the specs that I wanted and just started calling dealers. You can limit your search to year, color, interior, etc. So I put in 2011 G550 White and just started calling. There are plenty of G55s on there by the way.

Message me if you have any questions. I was told my car would be in at the end of November. So I'll repost here if I get screwed over!

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the way, Prestige has a Black G55 on their showroom floor, or at least they did 2 weeks ago. Its a 2010, but they didnt change anything between 2010 and 2011.

And I did that search on cars dot com and there are tons of G55s available near us near in northern NJ. So it think you should have your pick.

·
Registered
1978 Chevy Chevette "Sandpiper"
19 Posts
Dealer allocation is strictly based on historical sales so there are probably twenty dealers who get 90% of the allocation. In other words: "if some dealer doesn't have one coming its because they haven't earned one"... NOT because of limited production.

MBUSA has never offered incentives on the G
MBUSA does not 'product manage' the G (no options or packages).
MB Dealers dont want options on the car and don't want customers to individually order them. If one arrives on the lot, the salesman will simply show them the (Black/Black) unit and say that is the only way you can get one...so you might as well get this one.

Lastly, the only reason the G is still in production is because the factory continues to eek out military contracts which require the assembly line to remain in operation. (2005, 2010, 2012 and 2015 ring a bell)? If you want to know if the G will be extended beyond 2015, just figure out if the factory can get another worthwhile contract.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wanted to update that we did get our G550 as promised by the dealer. He had to trade another dealer for the truck, but he promised the end of November and we just drove it home yesterday. So I would consider that 1 week early.

While we live much closer to Prestige, I got such a run around from them while trying to find this car (2011 white G550 with black interior) that we went down to Ray Catena in Union. I got what I would consider great customer service from those guys. Once Prestige opens their new larger facility I'll take it there for service.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just wanted to update that we did get our G550 as promised by the dealer. He had to trade another dealer for the truck, but he promised the end of November and we just drove it home yesterday. So I would consider that 1 week early.

While we live much closer to Prestige, I got such a run around from them while trying to find this car (2011 white G550 with black interior) that we went down to Ray Catena in Union. I got what I would consider great customer service from those guys. Once Prestige opens their new larger facility I'll take it there for service.
Congrats! some detailed pics for the forum would be nice! !
White exterior in my opinion is the nicest...
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 G500 & 2017 G63
469 Posts
Boy that white sure looks great. I don't think I would ever go for one that color as it would attract even more attention to the vehicle than the black I have. I always wanted a 'slate grey' but there were none used and I finally just went for the one that came available that fit my specs/budget which was black/black.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts