Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GL350
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So attempted a self install of one of the two aftermarket headlight upgrades I bought - supposedly the right one for my 2006 ML350.
  • No instructions
  • Only one of the three connectors was the same so I had cut the other connectors off and splice the wires.
  • Bit of guess work in the wiring... hood I got it right! Only clue was “connect to gray” on one wire.
  • Seems to work with no warning lights on dash.
  • Not clear where the heat sinks go. One gets very hot.
  • Managed to do it with only partially removing bumper but why oh why does Mercedes hide one of the bolts in such an awkward spot. Can’t get the thing back on right now.

·
Registered
2016 GL350
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,479 Posts
Anyone have a headlamp wiring diagram for W164 ML350 2006?
Post your full VIN and I will grab it from WIS for you. And those do look good!

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,479 Posts
OK, here ya go. You will want to check out sections E1 and E2. I also included your vehicles Datacard for your records.

Just for fun, I also included the block diagram showing all the devices involved with simply turning on the headlights. It's all done on the CAN buss (over the wire). I tried to explain it to my elderly father one time.

Dad: "You mean there isn't a wire from the switch to the bulb?".
Me: "No Dad. The switch module talks over the network to the front SAM module, which turns on the low beams. It then talks over the network again to both mirror modules as they have lights too. Oh, and it also has to talk to the rear SAM which controls the taillights. Plus the instrument cluster is in the loop too for feedback."
Dad: "So. There isn't a wire from the switch to the bulb?" 😆
Me: "Dad, it isn't 1970 anymore!"

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, here ya go. You will want to check out sections E1 and E2. I also included your vehicles Datacard for your records.

Just for fun, I also included the block diagram showing all the devices involved with simply turning on the headlights. It's all done on the CAN buss (over the wire). I tried to explain it to my elderly father one time.

Dad: "You mean there isn't a wire from the switch to the bulb?".
Me: "No Dad. The switch module talks over the network to the front SAM module, which turns on the low beams. It then talks over the network again to both mirror modules as they have lights too. Oh, and it also has to talk to the rear SAM which controls the taillights. Plus the instrument cluster is in the loop too for feedback."
Dad: "So. There isn't a wire from the switch to the bulb?"

It isn't 1970 anymore! 😆

Good Luck!
Hi planethill, seems you know a whole lot. Recently purchased 2006 ml350, but the daylight running lights, and the fog lamps don't work. We're Canadian btw. So fog lamps doesn't switch on at all, on 3 oclock position, headlight comes on. If you pull it out once no indicator for foglamp and when you check outside foglamp doesnt come on. Pull it twice rear fog lamp indicator comes on, and checking the back it actually is on. About daylight runners, if lightswitch position at 0 or auto, during daytime nothing comes on, not while parked or while running. I have to twist lightswitch to park or low beam to have lights during daytime. At nighttime though, low beam headlight comes on whether lightswitch at 0, auto, park, or 3oclock position.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,479 Posts
Hi planethill, seems you know a whole lot.
Ha! Not really. I know a little, about a lot. 😆 I bow down to the true guru's: 43sqd, Witek, Rudeny and the others,

Anyway... Please start a new thread with your issue, rather than hi-jack this one. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts