Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered!

I have a 2005 C230 Kompressor that I have just recently started to have trouble with. It started a few weeks ago, when every now and then going up a steep hill, I noticed that the car felt like the transmission would jump or slip slightly one time and then it would go perfectly. It never really had any problems unless it was going up a hill.

Yesterday, all hell broke loose. I was driving home from a Thanksgiving meal, and the car was doing great, until I went up a steep hill and the car started shaking and acting like it may not even make it up the hill. I was able to make it up the hill and stopped the car and the car was shaking when I got out of the car. I cut the car off, and waited about 10 seconds and restarted the car. The car then sounded perfect, no shaking, running smooth as can be.

I then proceeded to drive on. I knew something was up, but I wanted to make it home. The car was going great again, until I went up another steep hill and the same problem. The car was shaking. I stopped at the top of the hill, cut the car off and restarted again and the car sounded perfect again.

I ended up getting the car home, and am now trying to figure out what could be wrong.

Is it possible the problem was just low transmission fluid when it started slipping a couple weeks ago?

I recently ordered the dipstick to be able to check the transmission fluid, so I don't know if that is the problem yet or not.

I wasn't sure if anyone here had any insights as to what they think the problem could be.

My transmission is a 722.6

Thanks for your help!

Pete

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,840 Posts
If the engine was not running smoothly, it's likely an engine problem and not in the transmission. Generally, when the transmission slips, you will see the engine RPM's spike as the drag on the crankshaft is removed. Is the MIL (check engine light) illuminated? If so, you need to get the error codes to see what's wrong.

·
Registered
283 Posts
u never know if his trans fluid is that low and hes on an angle where the fluid isnt level that can cause sum problems slipping and shaking

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2005 c230 komp my engine was sounding kind of loud so i took it in to the benz dealership and they informed me that the transmission is going out. and it would cost about 7000.00 to replace. it is not slipping, i dont think but the other day i noticed it had dropped down to 4 gear. it is automatic. do you think i needs to be flushed out because honestly it realy doesnt feel like it needs a new trans. to me it feels like a dirty air filter, it is a little loud /rough sounding even in park. i noticed i used to get 400 miles to a full tank now it is getting 340????? it is bothering me cuz i still owe 10,000 on the car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i have a 2005 c230 komp my engine was sounding kind of loud so i took it in to the benz dealership and they informed me that the transmission is going out. and it would cost about 7000.00 to replace. it is not slipping, i dont think but the other day i noticed it had dropped down to 4 gear. it is automatic. do you think i needs to be flushed out because honestly it realy doesnt feel like it needs a new trans. to me it feels like a dirty air filter, it is a little loud /rough sounding even in park. i noticed i used to get 400 miles to a full tank now it is getting 340????? it is bothering me cuz i still owe 10,000 on the car.
u dont go to the dealership..u got to havean independent shop that specializes in mercedes. dealerships will tell u anything to get thousands

if u find a mercedes indy ask them if they have SDS....(STAR Diagostic service) without this they not going to be to figure out the problem

have an indy shop check the fluid...drain the fluid..

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,840 Posts
^^^ Good advice - find a reliable independent shop. If you don't know of one, update your profile so we know where you are - someone on the forum may have a recommendation for a mechanic in your area. If not, try cartalk.com and click the "mechanics files" link to search by ZIP code.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well, you mentioned that you were driving back from Thanksgiving a few weeks ago, so I suspect you're Canadian.
And if you live in the Mississauga/Etobicoke/Toronto area, I could recommend you a shop.

Dynavin Automotive.
It's run by a guy named Peter. In the ad, Peter is the one in the picture and hes a good guy. He's fair, and he doesn't try to squeeze money out of you. They're also pretty quick with their repairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts