Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I erroneously posted this in the sedan section. Discovered the error and moved it here.

Has anyone had problems with the top operation of a 2018 E400 Conv. I have a 2 year old CPO car that has a problem putting it down. It will not complete the action of putting the top down. Dealer has the car repairing several "strings" which were damaged, broken or had the casing broken. I don't know if this will fix the base problem, but we will see. This design is very suspect for longevity. Using many small sheathed "strings" to secure something in the top mechanism is very strange to me.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,612 Posts
Hi Bob, I am not familiar with the W238, but I am relatively sure it's the same soft top mechanism as the W209 which I used to have. In convertible top systems where the rear glass raised to clear the hard cover, using cables and elastic bands to pull the canvas in place is fairly standard. If you watch the top open and close, you will see a lot of movement in the canvas around the rear glass, and with the top closed, the contours that make up the the "C" pillars are very tight. This is all a function of these cables and bands. Sometimes they will break, but it's rare. Unless it's one of the cables that controls the flaps that protrude from the cover panel, then I can't see where any of these would cause the open operation to fail. I assume this is warranty work? Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob, I am not familiar with the W238, but I am relatively sure it's the same soft top mechanism as the W209 which I used to have. In convertible top systems where the rear glass raised to clear the hard cover, using cables and elastic bands to pull the canvas in place is fairly standard. If you watch the top open and close, you will see a lot of movement in the canvas around the rear glass, and with the top closed, the contours that make up the the "C" pillars are very tight. This is all a function of these cables and bands. Sometimes they will break, but it's rare. Unless it's one of the cables that controls the flaps that protrude from the cover panel, then I can't see where any of these would cause the open operation to fail. I assume this is warranty work? Let us know how it turns out.
I have always had a convertible since I was 14. I am now 77. While I am familiar with the cables and top stays employed to keep the top in the proper position, both up and down, this E400 is the first that has what appears to be a spider web if braid covered white 3 or 4 strand cord that looks like cotton when the braid is damaged from abrasion with the top guides. I of course will let MB repair this, now and the next 6 years of warranty coverage on the car. My last MB, a SL500, was replaced for excessive warranty repairs. Hope this one is better.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,612 Posts
Hmm, that may be a bit different than my CLK's system. I replaced the canvas on that one and had to deal with all the straps and cable and I do not recall anything like that. The water bag used a series of elastic straps riveted to the frame, and there were a few Bowden cables. There was one fabric-like cables that held the headliner into the window frame, but that was just static - no movement once seated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for info, MB replaced the defective braid cover cord with braided Kevlar with no cover. Should last forever. I had suggested that they do that and was told that they would have to use what MB recommended. MB obviously understood the problem and put an excellent fix in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts