Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, it has been very, very cold in NY for the past several days.

Yesterday, I have pulled up by my friends place. Turned off the car and went about my business.

After 15 minutes, I returned to the car but it wouldn't start. Pressing the Start button or using the key wouldn't do anything. The engine wouldn't turn.

Everything looked fine on the dashboard, indicators were fine, no problem with the power.

Without many options (car is not under the warranty) I decided to jump start it - no problem. I managed to start it on the first try. After that I turned off the car and started it few more times without any problems.

When I got home I decided to test the starter battery - no problem, battery looks fine. I have used that tester where you connect it to the battery, drain it for about 10 seconds then check the indicator. Everything was in the green.

This morning before leaving to work I had the exact same problem that forced me to jump start it.

After searching this forum it can be either starter battery or starter motor solenoid.

How would it determine which one is it? :surrender:

If in fact it's the battery, can I just pickup a 12V battery at the local store that fits? If yes, could you please recommend which one should I get?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
I thought you already checked the battery (the one at the front)? Did you measure the voltage, any drop when you turn the key?

When you turn the key, can you hear a faint click from the starter motor solenoid?

·
Registered
2007 S550
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did check it and it looks fine. No, I haven't measured the voltage when I turn they key but I will check it.

Yes, when I "turn the key" or press Start I hear a faint, single click and that's it.

Is it starter motor solenoid? If yes, how hard/expensive is it to get it replaced?

·
Registered
2015 S550 222
160 Posts
The front battery only starts the car. The dashboard etc run from the gellcell battery in the trunk. If it starts when you jump the front battery I would sure think its the battery. If you put a voltmeter on it and the voltage drops to nothing when you try to start it then its the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts