Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my 2000 S430 to the dealer today, the airmatic suspension was making a rattle sound from the right front shock absorber area. It turns out some kind of pump has to be replaced, and they also discovered that the fuel pump was shot and also has to be replaced. they'll need the car for a day or two.<br> <br> the car is barely 2.5 years old and already i have had the following done:<br> <br> 1. power steering pump replaced<br> 2. power steering 'assembly' replaced<br> 3. driver side window motor replaced<br> 4. a/c 'controller' replaced<br> 5. now, the fuel pump and suspension pump thing i mentioned above.<br> <br> I have never had this many problems in any mercedes i have ever owned and I had an 1989 560SEL for 10 years before i sold it... only thing wrong with that... dead battery after 8 years.<br> <br> I'm very wary about buying another benz now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My parents have had similar problems with our 2000 S430 .. one of the early deliveries. MB acknowledged that there was a notice out on the AC and the suspension and would replace, only if the customer complained. There was also a technical bulletin on the window motors and the fuel pump. Many of these items were 'fixed' in MY01 (new A/C, new glass...) I anticipate that the facelifted S-class will address some of the inferior interior materials.<br> <br> Despite these problems, I purchased a 2001 SLK320 and have been very pleased with its performance and quality over the past year; so I haven't given up hope on MB. They have had some trying times - mid 90s recession, late 90s quality was sacrificed in order, to finance Chrysler, through increased volume. Lately, MB has ironed out its kinks with the merger, expanded its model lines but begun to inchance the quality as it has been nailed by the press and consumers as of late. The new C class has done well, people love the new SL, and the new E comes out this fall which will make or break'em - as that's their bread and butter car. New CLK and Maybach will be out soon, followed by new SLK, GST ..... from the things I have seen Dai-Chy has 'admitted' they had some production quality issues and limited capacity; invested in new facilities in Europe and US and is trying to stop 'milking' the MB cash cow to support the rest of the company.<br> <br> Also note, that your 1989 560SEL was the an 8th year model; at which point MB gets all the 'kinks' out, is full production and stops 'tweaking' the car. Your 2000 S430 was the first model year of the new car and some changes are expected along the way. We have a 1991 350SDL and went from the same two extremes. As well, the 560 engine had been around for a few years (used on the SL too) whereas the 430 was just introduced ..... <br> <br> Just some thoughts .... don't give up yet; 100 years of history would disappear overnight !!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These sites have good info on Mercedes quality of late

http://www.mercedesproblems.com<br> <br> http://www/mercedes-lemon.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve, are you kidding?.. Mercedes ironing out problems.. you go on the net, and you will find everywhere statements, that they have with all models serious trouble, trippling their expenses for warranty claims. I had 7 Mercedes' before I got a lemon: 1999 ML320 - in 3 years it spend over 2 months in the shop - they fixed the A/C after 2 years and 10 months.. read it up under my URL

·
Registered
S430
7 Posts
I have a similar "rattle sound" from the front left but the dealership I took it to said it was the rocker arm needing replaced. They ended up replacing both rocker arms the right rocker arm was replaced in error then they replaced the left one. I still have the rattle sound though . . . do you?

·
Registered
04'E55; 02' 911Turbo
75 Posts
Didn't realize people were having so many issues with their S'. A real shame...

Stic...

Didn't realize people were having so many issues with their S'. A real shame...

Stick with the E Class ^_^

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
you didn't realize it cause the s is short for shhhhh......

you didn't realize it cause the s is short for shhhhh...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts