Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I woke up this morning to find my front tire almost flat. There arent any open stations where I live to get air, so I had to just go. I had to get on the highway too. It was really low. Like 10lbs. I was driving with a almost flat tire, no turn signals(ordered the hazard switch from the Benz dealer. $26 which is cheap considering its new), and a taillight out. I put air in the tire, go to school with a shot tire, no taillight, and no turn signals.

After school I get to my dads place, put the two tires on, throw the hazard switch in, put a blurb in, and now I need a wheel alignment. Its not really a problem (considering everything was no charge. Thanks Dad [:D]) but I really couldent wait to do any of this. I still need to detail the car again, paint my wheels, get my Becker Radio and get a taillight. And the first aid kit plus cover. Most of these things I dont need, but I want. So much to do. [:(]

I still love this car. I made a turn onto a major street, nailed it, and I looked in my mirror to see all the cars back off from the smoke that came out of my muffler. [}:)] I have a question about the shifting. When Im floored, it shifts high. At like 5,000 - 5,500. Is that normal? Also, what can I do to make a easer start in the morning. It takes me about 5 mins to start it. I mean, its not going to be cold for much longer, but I want it to start easer. Is it normal for it to start in like 5 mins?

·
Registered
84 300 TDT 232K
46 Posts
In general, If your car is in resonable mechanical shape, and the low temp is above 32F, it should be able to start & be drivable after 1 minute (or less).
Many can also start & drive off in 1-2 minutes with a low temp of 0-5F.

From your post, I would say you still have 'hidden' issues with your car. Assuming your electrical items are in good shape - what about the following:

Have you run a compression test; are all the glow plugs okay (have you tested them for resistance)? Any leakage around the injectors? When was the last time you changed your Air & Fuel filters?

All of the above can contribute to hard starting in colder weather.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DarkLurker - 3/2/2005 9:51 PM

In general, If your car is in resonable mechanical shape, and the low temp is above 32F, it should be able to start & be drivable after 1 minute (or less).
Many can also start & drive off in 1-2 minutes with a low temp of 0-5F.

From your post, I would say you still have 'hidden' issues with your car. Assuming your electrical items are in good shape - what about the following:

Have you run a compression test; are all the glow plugs okay (have you tested them for resistance)? Any leakage around the injectors? When was the last time you changed your Air & Fuel filters?

All of the above can contribute to hard starting in colder weather.
Im new to Diesels, so I have no idea how to test any of those things. The fuel filter I think I need to change. Air filter, changed last oil change (which was 350 miles ago). I gotta bring it in. Mabye tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
1985 300CD - 3/2/2005 5:43 PM

So, I woke up this morning to find my front tire almost flat. There arent any open stations where I live to get air, so I had to just go. I had to get on the highway too. It was really low. Like 10lbs. I was driving with a almost flat tire, no turn signals(ordered the hazard switch from the Benz dealer. $26 which is cheap considering its new), and a taillight out. I put air in the tire, go to school with a shot tire, no taillight, and no turn signals.

After school I get to my dads place, put the two tires on, throw the hazard switch in, put a blurb in, and now I need a wheel alignment. Its not really a problem (considering everything was no charge. Thanks Dad [:D]) but I really couldent wait to do any of this. I still need to detail the car again, paint my wheels, get my Becker Radio and get a taillight. And the first aid kit plus cover. Most of these things I dont need, but I want. So much to do. [:(]

I still love this car. I made a turn onto a major street, nailed it, and I looked in my mirror to see all the cars back off from the smoke that came out of my muffler. [}:)] I have a question about the shifting. When Im floored, it shifts high. At like 5,000 - 5,500. Is that normal? Also, what can I do to make a easer start in the morning. It takes me about 5 mins to start it. I mean, its not going to be cold for much longer, but I want it to start easer. Is it normal for it to start in like 5 mins?
Both front tires almost flat, no turn signals, and a taillight out? Sounds like foul play to me...check the valve stem covers, somebody might have put a piece of paper in them if the tires have no cuts or slashes.

Shift point sounds too high. Mine is 4,500 rpm with my car's bowden cable adjusted for late shifts. This is also with a warmed up engine (I would never let her scream while bitter cold)

No turn signals sounds like a relay or switch. Are the hazard lights working?

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
floored shift should be around 4200rpms. turn the bowden cable adjuster on top of the valve cover clockwise for earlier shifts.

starting, don't forget you can leave the starter engaged until all the cylinders are firing (unlike a gasser which will grind the starter).
just don't leave the starter motor going for more than say 30 seconds or it will overheat.
assume all your glow plugs are working?[|)]

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to tell you, the insides of the tires were bald completely. You could see the threads. I dident even know. Got the hazard switch. Now I have blinkers. Put a bulb in. I have a break light. All I need now is a wheel alignment.

5,000 - 5,500 seemed kinda high. I dident know it if was me though. Ill adjust that when I get the car in to fix a few things.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
1985 300CD - 3/3/2005 4:57 AM

Forgot to tell you, the insides of the tires were bald completely. You could see the threads. I dident even know. Got the hazard switch. Now I have blinkers. Put a bulb in. I have a break light. All I need now is a wheel alignment.

5,000 - 5,500 seemed kinda high. I dident know it if was me though. Ill adjust that when I get the car in to fix a few things.
Glad it wasn't foul play [:)]. I had to think it because those problems came all at once.

I floored my car today and checked the tacho, 4,450 maximum shift point from a U-turn. I softened the shifting and it went to 4,300 as shift point. While you're at it, check your transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now the car is shifting at your RPM's karugs. Im gonna do a tranny service, wheel alignment, fuel filter all tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts