Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came in from the worst oil change of my life! For the first time, used an oil extractor on my '97 E420, and it barely worked. I finally ended up draining the oil from the drain plug.

I admit that I did cheap-out and get the Harbor Freight version of the extractor, but it drew enough vacuum to partially collapse the tubing. I also had the engine up to operating temperature, and had the oil fill cap off the valve cover.

The oil would just dribble out, and I would have had to pump it all day to get it all out.

Any recommendations on a better unit? After this experience I'm probably willing to pay up for a powered one so I don't have to pump it by hand.

Thanks guys -

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Yes, the Mity Vac units are the best I've found.

The tubing is rigid, i.e. similar to plastic water tubing for icemakers, etc. and doesn't collapse.

I have the version that works with shop air, but they have a pump version, too.

Mityvac

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
I use the cheap ($25) HarborFreight unit but replaced the tube with a rigid one and it works fine.

I haven't try this yet : remove the hand pump and put a vacumn cleaner there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I can see your frustration here! I tried that $8 hand pump extractor first with no luck, so I opt for those 12VDC powered ones from Ebay for like $33. It works great! For 0W-40 oils, it sucked it out like water. The pump needed something in the unit to start the suction, as I found that out trying to extract oil from my other car which I use 10W-40 (warmed up temps). With a higher viscosity oil it worked harder than the 0W's. And the hoses are rigid, which I can see why. Loved it! Changed oil in like 15 mins in my work clothes during lunch! Can't complain over a jack, tools, oil pan, wipes, and a sore back from going under.

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL, yeah, the one I bought was sold as a marine oil extractor! I guess you can't go under the boat to change the oil while docked! The seller said he sells alot and alot of happy feedbacks...so it was a no-brainer, just wish I learned of this alot earlier in my DIY car tricks. The 12VDC cable was too short to go around to the back of the trunk where the battery is. No biggie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would suggest that you get the real Top Sider. Instead of some knock off from a company that does not sell the topsider and expect it to work like the top sider.
Also make sure that you put the gaskets that come with it under the screw on caps. So you create a vacuum in the tank. In addition the oil should not be so hot that it melts the plastic tube and could scald you.
Also to prevent the vacuum from collapsing the tube you have to use is the real top sider tube that was designed for extracting oil and it stiff so it does not collapse like some soft plastic tube you bought at the local hardware store. In addition if you have not ever changed your oil in the last 10000 miles and it is thick as road tar. It is not going to flow and will stop up any tube.

·
Registered
289 Posts
FWIW, I have the unit made for and sold by Northern Hydraulics.

I have used it on everything from a 16,000 lb. loader to my SL without any issues...

·
Registered
505 Posts
The thread is from about seven years ago. If you are going to insult a poster, it would likely work best on a current thread.

·
Registered
289 Posts
nelbur,

The last thing I would want to do is insult someone. If I have done so please accept my apologies. I thought I was being helpful for future reference by posting which units work.

tim

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was responding to plants' post questioning the IQ of the original poster, who posted back in 2008. I should have quoted his post. Sorry for not being more clear.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was responding to plants' post questioning the IQ of the original poster, who posted back in 2008. I should have quoted his post. Sorry for not being more clear.
Thank you for the clarification! I was really scratching my head trying to figure out how and who I inadvertently insulted...:)

Thanks!

Tim

·
Purple Moderator
21,704 Posts
Plant's presence is beyond mysterious. He signed up in November. Made just that one post since then and has not logged back in since.
We see that every so often. Why people do that is a mystery.

I am going to edit the offending post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts