Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SLK230 Manual
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
i drive a 2004 slk230 manual. ok the problem is when i start the engine, the key is absolutely stuck. It wouldnt move at all, and i have to constantly move the steering wheel left an right in order to start the engine. sometimes it takes me up to 5 mins to leave the parking lot. This problem have been going on for more than half a yr now and bring it to the dealership doesnt help at all. I brought it in twice and both times they never fix the problem. is therre anything you guys can recommend on doing??? i just cant believe Mercedes sold me a car that is not working properly and even under warranty nothing has been done.

plz help.

·
Registered
2003 230 Previous 200 & AMG 32,
464 Posts
Exactly the same problem on my auto 03 230slk, its only done 25k and my main dealer says there is no problem, but key often gets stuck and only moves after vigorous movements on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 2009 E350
553 Posts
I find I have trouble if I have moved the steering wheel after turning the car off enough to trigger the steering wheel lock mechanism. If that has happened, it is nearly impossible to turn the key and I have to pull the steering wheel from one side to the other to allow the key to turn to start the engine. If I center the steering wheel before I turn off the engine and leave it alone, I have no problem starting the car the next time. I was stuck in the parking lot one night and ended up calling the 800 help number and the tech on the line explained what was going on. It seems to be a characteristic of the steering wheel lock out to discourage theft. My slk is a manual transmission.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 230
41 Posts
I have not experienced this with my 03 SLK 230 Auto 65K miles. Hope I don't, but let us know if anyone resolves this issue. Sounds like either new keys need to be made, or something in the steering column needs to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts