Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 SLK Key Remote died on me. I assumed the batteries were dead, so I replaced them. Still nothing....

Is there any kind of reprogramming that has to be done after batteries are replaced?

Anything else I could be missing?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I don't recall anything in the owners manual about reprograming, it looked to me like you would just swap out the bad batteries. You may have a more serious failure. I can't remember off hand how much a replacement is from MB, but you can do a search of this forum as it has been discussed before. I do remember that it is outrageous.[:(]

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,226 Posts
Wizard600RR - 2/10/2005 12:40 AM

My '99 SLK Key Remote died on me. I assumed the batteries were dead, so I replaced them. Still nothing....

Is there any kind of reprogramming that has to be done after batteries are replaced?

Anything else I could be missing?

Thanks in advance...
Wiz,
The system may have to be resynchronized if the transmitter is without voltage for several minutes.

You might try this procedure:

Synchronizing Remote Control...from page 215 in my owners manual.

To synchronize system, aim transmitter eye at vehicle and briefly press transmit button or lock button twice. Within approx. 30 seconds insert key in steering lock and turn it to position 2.
The remote control should once again be operational.

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Dave,

My mistake, I had forgotten about that in the manual, good catch. I guess I better keep my manual by the computer so I can do some research before I answer someone.

Eric

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
Unnecessary to point as the '99 USA transmitter is radio frequency only, not infrared.

Does any R170 use infrared?

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,226 Posts
DickB - 2/10/2005 2:13 PM

Unnecessary to point as the '99 USA transmitter is radio frequency only, not infrared.

Does any R170 use infrared?
I was only quoting the Remote Control resynchronizing instructions that is described my 2001 SLK Operator's Manual. I assumed that the '99 models had the same type of remote key.

Dave

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
Yea, my manual says this too, but in fact the US remote is RF not IR. It works from inside a pocket and not aiming anywhere at all. I wonder if the manual is generic and some countries use IR? I'm guessing the USA 2001 SLK remote is also RF not IR.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Guys, be careful of the radio frequency key fobs....a good friend of mine had her SLK stolen this way....seems the thieves pirated the code and got into the car and then added their own key set-up into the dash. Thieves used to steal cell phone numbers the same way and run up victums phone bills.

Regards

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
Even the cheapest aftermarket remotes now use rolling codes to combat this. I'm not worried.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
I thought that the key had both RF and IR. I know on my SLK it had an IR senson on the door handle.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I tried mine while in the pocket of blue jeans I was wearing and it worked. [:0] This would also explain why holding to your head increases the range, as it is elevated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
check the receiver reception module in the car

My '99 C280 seemed like it had a dead remote. Three new remotes and a four sets of new batteries: it turns out the base reception receiver couldn't hear the remote. Had that replaced under warranty, and voila! Wow, just like brand new! If you have fresh batteries, a good remote, reprogramming doesn't make sense. It's the receiver module in the car. The technitian tested the receiver reception and it wasn't registering. That's my success story.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230 and 2004 E500 AWD Wagon
1 Posts
Try putting key into ignition and leaving it there for 2 min.

I have a different model MB (a 2001 E320) and my owners manual has a slightly different description of how to "synchronize" the remote (key) with the ignition. Mainly, it just involves putting the key into the ignition and waiting for a little while. I just did it for two minutes, and sure enough, my previously inoperable remote suddenly worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The remotes to my 2001 ML320 stopped working so I recently took it in to be serviced. The guys are telling me that the base reception receiver needs to be replaced for $600! Are you kidding me? Anyone have a better idea?

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,379 Posts
Assuming they did some testing and determined the fault correctly....many mechanics just go for a replacement part....and when it doesnt solve the problem - "oh...must be something else".....meanwhile you keep cashing out.

If you are confident they know what they are talking about - you need to find out which module is your "base reception receiver" and locate the source/root cause of the problem.

Worst case - internet spares for a replacement - much cheaper than an MB dealer - but more risk on several levels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
to sync your remote on an SLK R170 first check your batteries, press un/lock for more than one second, the red light blip briefly if the batteries are fine, if you don't get any light change them for good ones, they are cr2025's, you'll need 2, I just took them out and checked with a volt meter.
to get them out you need to pry the edge where the key fold into which is at the rear of fob.

when you know the batteries are good

point the remote at the car and press twice,briefly, the lock or unlock button, then with in 30 seconds put the key in the ignition and turn to position 2, thats when your dash lights come on don't start it just remove the key, thats it your done, you should be back in business
this is for a slk r 170 99

vic

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230K
4 Posts
New key won't start my 2001 SLK 230

I recently purchased a 2001 SLK 230. It came with one key, the type where the key pops out from the fob. The fob didn't lock/unlock the doors nor did the battery check light come on. I replaced the batteries. That didn't get it to open the doors and the battery check light still didn't come on, so I decided to order a new key through my Benz mechanic. He purchased the key from a local Benz Dealer. It cost me $200. I have the packaging it came in. The new key unlocks/locks the doors but wont start the car. I have tried everything listed in the forums: Resyncing by hitting the button twice and turning the key to position #2; putting the key in the ignition 10 times; holding the lock and unlock buttons for 6 seconds. I called the dealer and the shop manager said the key should work without any special sync other than for the locks. NOTHING! What do I do? Take it to the dealer and tell them it's defective. Have them "program" it. Is there another solution. HELP!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
What do I do? Take it to the dealer and tell them it's defective. Have them "program" it. Is there another solution. HELP!
Take the car and the key to the dealer and put the onus on them to prove that the key is not bad.

PS On some models you have to leave the key in the ignition for 40 to 60 minutes (in 0 position). Don't know if it applies to your car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts