Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i own a 94 S500 and my right headlight wiper is stuck in the upright position. sometimes it will go back down. but, as of right now it is still stuck there. is there a way to put it back down manually? any information would be much appreciated. thank you in advance.

-alex

·
Registered
8 Posts
well, what I did temporarily, is unplugged the motor, then removed the cap and nut on the end of the wiper arm (which I found out also contains the washer fluid jet) and put the wiper arm back on level, so at least it looked normal until I could replace it. I did eventually replace it. But if you do this, you can not plug the motor back in, or when it does decide to work, it will drag onto the bumper.

·
Registered
2005 E320 1993 400SEL
13 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1993 400SEL. I turned the headlights on, then pressed the wash on the wiper stalk and the wiper returned to the proper position.

·
Registered
1999 S600 W140 and 2002 S55 AMG W220, (previous: 1989 560SEL and 1995 / 1996 S500)
4,223 Posts
Richard W140 said:
I had the same problem on my 1993 400SEL. I turned the headlights on, then pressed the wash on the wiper stalk and the wiper returned to the proper position.
Exactly. That's what always moves them. But the headlights must be on. I think it may need the high beams to be on...

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,271 Posts
I did the work myself. It is fairly easy if you are good with spray gun or have a local paint shop you trust. The parts are 140 826 04 77 and 140 826 03 77. They run about $20 each at the dealer. You could also use your exsting panels and have the hole filled and sanded by a body shop (or DIY). They look identical to the existing piece, but have no hole for the headlight wiper shaft. They are black ABS plastic and must be painted to match your car.

I removed both wiper motors, unplugged the pump for the wiper motor washer and plugged the washer line coming from the pump. The whole process, inlcuding painting took about 3 hours. You do not have to remove the headlights to do this job, but you do have to remove the lower engine encapsulation panel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dlafever said:
I did the work myself. It is fairly easy if you are good with spray gun or have a local paint shop you trust. The parts are 140 826 04 77 and 140 826 03 77. They run about $20 each at the dealer. You could also use your exsting panels and have the hole filled and sanded by a body shop (or DIY). They look identical to the existing piece, but have no hole for the headlight wiper shaft. They are black ABS plastic and must be painted to match your car.

I removed both wiper motors, unplugged the pump for the wiper motor washer and plugged the washer line coming from the pump. The whole process, inlcuding painting took about 3 hours. You do not have to remove the headlights to do this job, but you do have to remove the lower engine encapsulation panel.

i think i'll buy those parts from the dealership rather than filling the holes just in case i want to connect the headlight wipers again.
i have a question though, i understand you unplug the motors but you say you plugged the washer line coming from the pump?

i will take a look at it this weekend since it will be nice weather. your help. i wish you had pictures that i could follow haha. thanks for your help.

by the way the work you did on your car looks nice.

-alex

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,271 Posts
Alex, thanks for you comments!

The headlamp wipers have an integrated washer feature. There are two washer pumps on the washer fluid resevoir (see pic below), #92 is the pump for the headlight washers. I just clipped the tube close to the pump and plugged it with an oversize screw. Make sure you get the correct pump, otherwise you will disable your windshield washers!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts