Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Problem with Fan.

885 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  spanners
My 190E 1987 model is in the workshop, they have changed the rings and chain and other small parts of the engine. When they started my car after installing the engine, everything is fine but the big fan in front of radiator is moving very slow. WHY????

What are the precausions for a newly repaired engine?

Please Help.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Re: Cooling fan

The fan has an electro magnetic clutch which cuts in when the engine reaches about 100 degrees.

Before it gets to that temperature, it will spin slowly, but this is just caused by the draft made by the pulleys going around.

Check to make sure it kicks in when the engine gets hot.

When you say newly repaired engine, has the engine had a full overhaul[?]

If so, then keep the revs down for the first 2000 miles or so and monitor the oil and water levels for the first 2 weeks.

· Registered
Mercedes190 E 1987
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
electro magnetic clutch

My mechanic says that the "electro magnetic clutch" or coil is not working and has to be replaced. It was working before the engine overhaul, what could be the caus of "electro magnetic clutch" failure?

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Re: Cooling fan

If it was disturbed during the engine rebuild, it could be a broken wire, but it is a sealed unit so you can't check that.

I am assuming that your mechanic has checked the fan switch (coolant temperature sensor), because I would have thought its more likely to be this which has gone faulty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.