Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a problem with my 1999 CLK320. Sometimes it will just stop out of nowhere even if my gas gauge sais half full or full. But whenever I put a gallon or 2 in, it starts right up. So at first I thought my gas gauge was broken. Until today it stopped on me, but I just put 10 gallons in it yesterday and I know for a fact I haven't driven more then 2 gallons worth of gas from then until now. But I filled my gas can up and went back to my car, put the gas in my car and it started right up again. Any ideas what could be the problem??

L

·
0 Posts
I don't think it have anything to do with your gas. You might think that is your gas problem because the engine just stop out of no where. I personally think is your "crank position sensor".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i think it has something to do with the gas system because if i put gas in it it starts. Even if i have a full tank, the car stops...but then i put a little bit of gas in it..it starts right up. But what is the "crank position center"?

L

·
0 Posts
I'll tell you more about the crank position sensor later. Can you explain the exact moment when everything stop out of nowhere. Were your car moving....etc.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's stopped when my car has been moving and when it has not been moving. It just stops, as if it's out of fuel. Then I try to start it and i hear it trying but it never starts. But if i put some gas in it it starts up fine. Though I know im not out of gas, im on like 3 quarters of a tank.

Someone told me they think its the transfer jet pump. I guess the gas tank has 2 sides to it and the transfer jet pump moves gas from 1 side of the tank to the other. So all the gas is on 1 side and the transfer jet pump is not letting the gas pass to the other side properly. Not sure if thats it or not but thats what his thoughts were...

L

·
0 Posts
it's stopped when my car has been moving and when it has not been moving. It just stops, as if it's out of fuel. Then I try to start it and i hear it trying but it never starts. But if i put some gas in it it starts up fine. Though I know im not out of gas, im on like 3 quarters of a tank. quote]

This sounded like something I haven't heard before. Have you ever able to start it without adding gas or only when you add gas?

L

·
0 Posts
it will only start once i add some gas
hmm....... next time try to start the engine just by remove the gas cap only to release the pressure and see what happen. I'm very interesting to know the cause to your problem if you ever get it fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ yeah I had thought of that too. Im not sure if the extra little gas I add is what starts it up or just the act of opening the gas cap.

·
Registered
Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
1,187 Posts
Is your gas cap the original gas cap or has it been replaced by non OEM model?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts