Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery went dead in my key fob. No problem... I bought a new battery. But then I had a horrible time trying to get the key/car paired again. The instructions say to "point the fob at the car" (or something like that), press a button twice, then put the key into position II. What are you supposed to point at what? It doesn't appear to be Radio based. Is it using Infrared?

Finally, I got it to almost work by standing in front of the drivers side rear view mirror, pushing the button twice, and turning the key. It paired -- but in a strange way. Now I have to push the button twice as much. For example, I need to press the Lock button twice to lock the car, press the Unlock button twice to unlock the driver's side, and press the Unlock button four times to unlock both sides.

I tried pulling the battery for 5 minutes and re-pairing, but got the same thing.

What is the trick for pairing the keys with the car? How do I get it out of this mode?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I think after the battery change you have "selective unlocking mode", you want "global unlocking mode". See the following entry from the owner's manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the problem isn't selective vs global unlocking mode. I used to have selective: one click for driver's door, two clicks for all, one click to lock. Now I need twice that many clicks for every operation. And unfortunately, I don't see anything useful/telling in the manual (where I had already looked).

I still don't know where you have to stand (or point what at what) to do the programming -- it certainly doesn't appear to be radio based. And I can't figure out how to get rid of needing to double-click to do the *anything*.

Unless someone has any hints, I guess I'll call into the shop this next week and ask...

By the way, this is a 2002 SLK320.

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
544 Posts
I had to reprogram mine the other day. Just pointed it at drivers side door, clicked twice, then put in ignition and turned it to pos 2.

Works fine. It didn't change any of the previous settings.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
I know the manual says 'point', but US key fobs are RF, not IR, so no pointing is necessary.

·
Registered
2003 C-320
4 Posts
Programming Infrared keyfob

2003 C-320. I replaced the batteries in my wife's keyfob, only because I only had 2 CR2025 batteries and not enough for both keys. I can lock and unlock and roll down/up the windows, but the key fob will NOT start the car. My keyfob (I didn't change the batteries in it yet - good thing!) works fine.
I looked at the owners manual and it just tells about replacing the batteries, not anything about programming.
Is there something special that I have to do to get the keyfob to start the car? Do I point the "useable" key at the "unuseable" key and press some buttons, kind of like a "learning remote?"
I tried pointing the key fob at the door and clicking twice....that function works, it just will NOT start the car!

HELP!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts