Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2002 ML320 two weeks ago. Tried the radio activation code a couple of times and i guess the unit got blcoked. I had the message "wait" on the MCS screen for quite a while.

i later on found the correct activation code and entered it. at first the radio came on but with no sound and for the cd player it said "not installed". after about five hours the sound came on and the cd played well (all buttons working). but this only lasted for like 5 mins and the sound went off.

i disconnected the battery for like 30 minutes... the same cirlce (radio with no sound, cd not installed- later had sound for about 10 mins- then no sound).

i'm about to take the car to the dealership... but was wondering if abyone on here could help.

·
C9H9N Offensive Odor Exuder
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,382 Posts
DON'T take it to the dealer, just yet. Look at the two slots at the very bottom corners of your radio trim. You should be able to insert 2 metal fingernail files in them to unlock the clips that hold in the radio. If you can get them to release (MB also sells a set of tools for this), slide out your radio and check your cable on the back side. It will look very much like a cable coax. If it is loose, you will lose communication to your CD changer, causing the very symptoms you describe. Check for tightness. If it is not, get the appropriate wrench and snugly tighten the cable. You should be good to go. This happened to me.

·
Registered
2002 ML 320 Sport, 1997 SL 500, 1997 E-420
21 Posts
If the connection to the radio is OK, then check the connection to the amplifier that is located in the dash, above the brake pedal. The amplifier has a 20 amp fuse, verify if it is good. There are two optic fiber cables, I think they are orange, pull them and check if a red light is on (with the radio on of course). If the fuse is good and the red light is on, then the amplifier might be the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DON'T take it to the dealer, just yet. Look at the two slots at the very bottom corners of your radio trim. You should be able to insert 2 metal fingernail files in them to unlock the clips that hold in the radio. If you can get them to release (MB also sells a set of tools for this), slide out your radio and check your cable on the back side. It will look very much like a cable coax. If it is loose, you will lose communication to your CD changer, causing the very symptoms you describe. Check for tightness. If it is not, get the appropriate wrench and snugly tighten the cable. You should be good to go. This happened to me.
All thanks for the help... one full day with sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts