Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently bought 20" rims that came off another E Class. They aren't fitting due to this bolt hitting the tire. This is occuring for the front two tires.

This is a picture of the bolt that the tire is hitting. The picture shown is with the stock tire on it. So you can imagine a 20" tire hitting it.

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: photogdu.jpg

Do I have to replace what I think is the camber kit?

What mods will I have to do to make it fit?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've seen a couple cars come in with the bolt ground down a bit. That is the upper ball joint to the control arm so there isn't anything else you can do that i know of.

·
Registered
'04 E320, '01 ML320(sold it), '69 911RS clone, '74 914-4 (track car), 92 Toyota PreRunner
13 Posts
what size tire are you using on the 20's? A "30" ratio size tire should fit. A "35" ratio will make contact with the upper bolt.

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
spacers! (I assume)

·
Registered
2009 E-350
60 Posts
I had the same problem. you have to run 30 series tires. I went with 245/30/20 on the front. they are slightly taller than stock but you will still have plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
w204 (C350ELE)
1,262 Posts
Hello,
I recently bought 20" rims that came off another E Class. They aren't fitting due to this bolt hitting the tire. This is occuring for the front two tires.
This is a picture of the bolt that the tire is hitting. The picture shown is with the stock tire on it. So you can imagine a 20" tire hitting it.
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: photogdu.jpg
Do I have to replace what I think is the camber kit?
What mods will I have to do to make it fit?
Benz 811:
I figure you now have like 2.5" (63 mm) clearance. I don't know the size wheels you got now (18" or 19" dia.?). In any event, I would not reduce the bolt height. I would reverse it (bolt underneath, locknut with washer head or lockwasher on top, assembled with Blue Loctite, and with a 1/8" dia. rollpin driven through the tip of the bolt to prevent the nut from backing up). That ought to give you an extra 5/16" (8 mm). Use a stainless Allen truss head bolt or a high tensile (#7 or better) hex bolt. and the wheel should fit. To insure that it does, check the E car where they came from. Also, as you were told, you will loose ride comfort by having to go to a lower profile tire. If you cannot determine which are the safe highest profile tires you should use, publish distance center of hub to fender bolt, plus wheel offset and fender cavity width.
Good luck. Joe

Mercedes carried Xenon headlights since puberty and nobody had the vision to patent them. The moral is The Lord sometimes gives bread to the toothless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts