Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1994 C280
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals.

I was thinking, why did princess Diana have to travel in the smallest engined S Class. There are reports saying the vehicle was travelling around 190km/h Which I believe would have been near the top of what the 2.8L could produce and the suspension and brakes to handle it. Maybe if she were in a more capable car, say a S500 or S600 that wasn't being pushed so hard and comfortably capable at of those speeds she would still be with us today...

·
Registered
89 560SEL 69 280 SE coupe 95 S500 coupe 2013 B Class
419 Posts
Princess Diana

The car belonged to the hotel and small engine cars are the norm as gas is expensive in Europe. Henri must have been driving with his foot to the floor as that tunnel is very short under the Seine and it would be difficult to go faster as you would have to slow down coming out of the tunnel.
The French refused to let Mercedes-Benz engineers look at the car or compare crash and live accident data that DB keeps on all models that crash in Germany. The impact so severe that the the fan shroud was in the front seat and Diana was not wearing a seat belt but Jomes the bodyguard was and survived. The car is still in a container in France.

·
Registered
1994 C280
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to take my hat off to the w140. It crashed at 192km/h and she wasn't killed on impact, she died on the 2 hour journey to the hospital. With most cars even of today, you will completely disintegrate crashing at that speed without a seat belt.

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
No Excuse

She was in arguably the strongest sedan ever made, in the one area of the car that suffered no physical damage, and was in the rear seat. So when she failed to wear a seat belt, she invited her own fate...no excuse at all. If she was wearing a belt she probably could have opened the door, which was just fine (no damage in published pictures) and walked around. Maybe some belt bruises.

No one is ever, and I mean ever, allowed to ride with me without a seatbelt!!

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
No one is ever, and I mean ever, allowed to ride with me without a seatbelt!!
+1

I do not need an 80-100kg bag of meat hitting me at 100kph in an accident!

·
Registered
Whatever car has the gas in it
1,909 Posts
Mercedes only protect if you help protect yourself. Wear your seatbelt. Sorry Princess...

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
In addition it was report that the safetysystems had been malfunctioning and rather than fix them they were disconnected.

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
1,056 Posts
The W140, regardless of engine size, is designed to cruise the Autobahn at high speeds. It's odd that the car collided in the tunnel, since it was going straight the driver and car should have been able to handle going around anything. I have gone faster in my W140 in conditions like that and on winding roads...not a problem in the W140...so...it's a mystery to me why it even crashed....an accident? Hmmm...some think not.

·
Registered
95 Mercedes Benz C220
35 Posts
Interesting post.. I went to London back in 1999. One fellow who resides there ( he was our ''tour '' guide, a relative of my brother in law) told me that she was alive at the hospital. She was pregnent with Dodi Al Fayed's kid. To save British embarassement with a former Royal and a realtionship with a ''muslim'' they had to kill her.

Re the car, yes these cars are built very well. I am surprised why the French did not let MB engineers look at the car. If she had no belt, i'm sure she could have lived longer. With all the conspiracy & secrets only God knows what happened.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
I have gone faster in my W140 in conditions like that and on winding roads...not a problem in the W140...so...it's a mystery to me why it even crashed....an accident? Hmmm...some think not.
You've gone faster than 192 km/h (=120 mph) on winding roads? That's awesome. I would hate to be the pedestrian or animal crossing the road around one of those bends you drive on.

There are documentaries about the incident that show recreations. At that speed, when your car gets out of shape, you've barely had time to react before you've already hit the pillar.

·
Registered
S600 1996 metallic blue sedan
1,209 Posts
wasn't the driver drinkin' ethanol?

·
Registered
95 Mercedes Benz C220
35 Posts
whatever he was drinking, he messed up so now we have a dead princess & a lot of conspiracy theories. I still believe that the doctors killed her & all this was planned. The Royals seemed like it was another rainy day

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
In addition it was report that the safetysystems had been malfunctioning and rather than fix them they were disconnected.
It was a 2nd tier car used at the last minute by the L'Etoile limousine service as a decoy vehicle with which they hoped to elude all the parapazzis on their motorcycles..

It was a rebuilt wreck with a salvage title on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
there are a huge number of variables in any car crash; the physics of these dynamics - misunderstood by those who can't understand or accept that a crash is a sequence of events gone wrong - simply encourage conspiracy theories and fuels cover up suggestions.

Let's not focus on why the car crashed. Let's not focus on whether that S-Class was a 'rebuilt wreck' (and what does that mean, anyway?); instead, let's focus on the one thing that may have changed the outcome. In a crash that was survivable for rear-seat passengers, let's ask why Diana - someone who always wore a seatbelt - chose not to that night. Any other questions relating to what/who caused this crash, is just the babble of background noise, a distraction from the bigger question of why on earth she didn't - or couldn't?...- buckle up. Once you've established that as the starting point, you might be able to work your way back to who or what caused this crash...

·
Registered
2005 SL500, 2011 GL350
428 Posts
Don't forget, the driver, Henri Paul, was drunk. So a combination of excessive speed, alcohol intoxication, and the failure to wear safety belts created a disaster just waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Don't forget, the driver, Henri Paul, was drunk. So a combination of excessive speed, alcohol intoxication, and the failure to wear safety belts created a disaster just waiting to happen.
Bollocks...........More like a combination of Diana preggers with Muslim child plus Dodi's dad trying to get a British passport for years.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Haha! Good comedy in this thread.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts