Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1980 450SL, Genuine Buddy 125cc Scooter
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local euro used parts yard has an 81 300CD sitting off to the side. Owner says its one of his many projects. Its not cherry, but its certainly a nice looking car. Cream in color, bundt wheels, claims it starts, runs, shifts fine and needs some TLC. Shiny parts are all there, dont know of any rust, sunroof may leak. Interior is fine, but has smelly mildew, seats arent worn or sagging.

Missing the hood ornament, bottom of the doors are rusted, but he says he has 2 good ones inside somewhere. Hed sell it for 3000. I dont know what its worth. Ive seen crap on ebay and Ive seen very nice ones. Of course Id have to drive it, the door issue doesnt scare me, provided I get the spares in the sale.

Seems high for the work Id have to do, but if it runs and drives well I feel he has the leverage in this negotiation. Yes/No?

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Well I guess he'd sell it for 9000 too!

For this sort of thing you need to post up pictures but from your description it sounds a bit rough to me...

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
My local euro used parts yard has an 81 300CD sitting off to the side. Owner says its one of his many projects. Its not cherry, but its certainly a nice looking car. Cream in color, bundt wheels, claims it starts, runs, shifts fine and needs some TLC. Shiny parts are all there, dont know of any rust, sunroof may leak. Interior is fine, but has smelly mildew, seats arent worn or sagging.

Missing the hood ornament, bottom of the doors are rusted, but he says he has 2 good ones inside somewhere. Hed sell it for 3000. I dont know what its worth. Ive seen crap on ebay and Ive seen very nice ones. Of course Id have to drive it, the door issue doesnt scare me, provided I get the spares in the sale.

Seems high for the work Id have to do, but if it runs and drives well I feel he has the leverage in this negotiation. Yes/No?
The little Rear Window; Regulators are extremely costly. Make sure the Windows go up and down with no issue.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,157 Posts
3K high? I think he's high. If you're serious, shop around. It's not even a turbo for Christ sake. Find a model with no rust or accidents and go from there.

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1980 450SL, Genuine Buddy 125cc Scooter
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like hes asking too much, Im heading over there after this hurricane blows through for another reason and Ill give it a closer look, the hurricane should be a good test of its ability to keep the rain out.

I assumed it was a turbo, fact that it may not be is surely a turn off, my 77 lacks one and I dont want another non-turbo!

Thanks for the info on the rear window part, Ill be sure to check that too.

Is it possible to just bolt on the turbo setup, (his yard has a few 300s with the turbo) or are we talking about more differences inside the engine?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1984 300D TurboDiesel
18 Posts
Not really answering your question, but would you mind sending me a PM of where this place it at? Not trying to grab this from under you, but it would be nice to know if there's another place around that may have some parts. Only one yard in Pensacola has a single W123 on the lot, an '81 300D. Exterior is beautiful but its more inside that I will need down the road. And a floor pan to make this current repair go more smoothly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts