Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching the price of SL's on Ebay heading north for a change. The 280SL and other Euros, which used to be the black sheep of the crowd, seem to be doing especially well, evidence this, what I consider typical SL going for way more than a comparable one did a few months ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4533584476&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

From what I have been reading, this may be because European used car wholesalers have been buying up used 107's and shipping them back to Europe, where the decline in the value of the dollar helps them make a healthy profit after they buy the car in dollars and sell them for Euros.

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500SL
107 Posts
It appears to be a well kept SL. You may be right about the price increase. I've seen similar vehicles sell for around 8K. I wonder where the passenger side mirror and the badging are?? Maybe the value of my 500SL will increase as well!
Mike

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BRNN53 - 3/10/2005 7:30 PM

It appears to be a well kept SL. You may be right about the price increase. I've seen similar vehicles sell for around 8K. I wonder where the passenger side mirror and the badging are?? Maybe the value of my 500SL will increase as well!
Mike
I bought my 83 280SL a year ago, in excellant condition, as good as that car appears to be, with 25,000 less miles than that car (90k) for $6200 over ebay. The only difference is mine has the 4spd auto, which I personally prefer over the manual, however the manuals are a lot more sought after. It was a one owner, with a clear car fax, owned by a pilot who did a lot of preventive maintenance on it. At the time, it wasn't a special deal, there was a number to choose from. Prices in general for SL's actually dropped even further than that for a little while - I saw a lot in the 4-5k range, but over the last six months they seem to be steadily going up. The 500's are doing especially well, if you can even find a decent one for sale.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
edboyles - 3/10/2005 10:57 PM

SL's are classy cars, not to mention timeless classics....
That's their greatest appeal to me - the cars simply do not look "dated". As long as you keep them nice, you have what others perceive as a premimum automobile. They are also a great value. When I first went looking for a hobby sports car in the 8 to 10k range, I wanted a vette. Everyone I looked at in that price range was a worn out gas hog that needed a ton of work. When I started looking at SLs as an alternative, the pride of ownership the owners took in the cars simply made them a better value, and I was able to find nice cars in the 6-8k range. In the 10k range, you can find cars that are really, really nice. All and all, they are the best sports car value. I had owned 280 sedans in the past, and loved them - when I found a nice 280SL at $6200, I jumped on it, and have had little problem with it. I shudder to think where I would be if I had bought one of those $10k vettes.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The SL is up to 15k$. I just don't get this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4533584476&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWN%3AMT%3A1

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500SL
107 Posts
That is the 2nd 280SL sold by this seller that I have seen in the last year. Both were immaculate and seems like the first one sold for 12K. I was seriously thinking of bidding on it but I had my heart set on a 500. I'm glad I waited. This seller obviously has a connection to well kept vehicles.
Mike

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember those days as well - I rescued an Austin Healy 3000 for the price of $150 bucks. Other fields in my neighborhood contained a Mercedes 190SL, a Morgan, and 57 T bird. If only I had known in '68 what I know now.

I was at a MBCA function last weekend in Ft. Worth - most there felt the 107 was now a "vintage" Mercedes. If experience is any teacher, now is the time to pick up cheap clunkers and refugees. I saw a 82 280SLin the Dallas paper for $3500 - it had a 5 speed, and a bad upper control arm.

·
Registered
78 280sl,65 Mustang Fastback, 05 Chaparral 220 Ssi
34 Posts
Well, then I should be very happy with my sl purchased last year for $7k.

Finally, it seems I made a good investment.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
I saw a dealership was selling a 280 sl 5 speed manual for $4800 bucks. I wouldn't worry about the price of the car going up as much as the price of gas going up. There will always be cars, but will there always be gas?

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its the price of gas that is driving the price of 280sls up. If you saw a 5 speed for 4800 you should have bought it. Either the guy didn't know what he had or it must have been a real rag because those are real sought after. If it's still there, PM me where it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts