Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a local G500 for sale, 77k on the clock, 2002 model year.

I believe they are asking $34,900. I am going to test drive tomorrow.

Is there an FAQ with what to look for? I am big into land cruisers so I know my way around a vehicle.

Also, is that price inline with current markets? I heard Gs dove a bit with the gas prices going up?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whoa....why bother? I can just get a Lexus LX470 or Land Cruiser 100 series with the same or fewer miles and never worry about any of that garbage?!?

Thanks for the heads up. Serves me right for looking outside of the sombrero family.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
dankunz said:
whoa....why bother? I can just get a Lexus LX470 or Land Cruiser 100 series with the same or fewer miles and never worry about any of that garbage?!?

Thanks for the heads up. Serves me right for looking outside of the sombrero family.
Well, it is something that you will never get to enjoy. 2002 was the first year of all the electronics in the G500...it was not it's best year. 2004 and up G500s are about as reliable as TLC/LX...i know because my brother has '01 LX470 and i have '04 G500. If you can afford it, then get a later model...you would love it. If you don't have enough money, then go get a TLC/LX.

The difference between G500s and your TLC100/LX470...pure capability and durability (military grade vs. mass civilian production). It's actually not even close when it comes to off-roading capability. With you being an owner of TLC80, you should already have known this...lockers make a hell of a difference.

What is the curb weight of LX470?? About 5500 lbs. TLC100 is about 5300 lbs. It's a BIG vehicle, right? What is the curb weight of your TLC80 stock?? About 4700 lbs?? It's also a big vehicle. Well, the G500 is about the size of a 3rd gen 4runner (length & width; it is just taller). YET, it weighs about 5500 lbs!!! My old 3rd gen 4runner weighed in at 4100 lbs. Both LX470 and G500 have the same electronics and similar V8 engine weight (although G500 engine is slightly bigger, LX engine has iron block). That should give you an idea of how OVERBUILT and OVERENGINEERED the G500's frame and body are in comparison to the TLC/LXs. There is no comparison.

Every little detail on the G500 frame & axles is made for off-roading. Breather tubes for all components (axles, TC, tranny) are routed to the very top of the engine bay firewall. Axle control arm attachment point is on the SIDE of the frame and protected with a metal plate...thus, no need to fabricate a skid. Control arms themselves are forged front AND rear. Underbody is super clean...nothing to drag except the frame itself if you highcenter. Alternator is high and is covered by skidplate below it. Everything underneath and body (including frame) is covered in wax to prevent corrosion. Supposedly, all G500s made after 1991 are rust free. Of course, some on here have reported that little areas around windshield or doors do get specs of rust now and then, but in general, the G500 is about as rust protected as you can get...it has to pass military requirements around the world.

Good luck in your search for your daily coosh ride.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Get the serivce reconds and see if its had problems...

Ive had a lot but been trouble free after last brain transplant at 49K miles...

Other have 02's that have never had a problem...

If it checks out tell them you will give them $30K for it... all they can say is no.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts