Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 that i got last week with 24k miles i knew looked different and i think i know why now. When the car is sitting at the lowest setting it is so very close to having the wheels rub the fenders, when i turn the wheels all the way it is fractions of an inch away. I also noticed that there is paint missing from the very bottom edge of the fender that definitely happened from tire wear - i am NOT happy about this as the car is mint mint mint

I think perhaps it is so close when you are turning if you hit a bump that is enough for the car to rub

If i push the raise car button to one light it looks like most other SL's and if i push it up again to two lights it looks too high.

I dont want to spend money getting everything recalibrated. Is it OK to drive around with the raise button showing one light. There is nothing wrong with ABC,etc. Clearly someone did this on purpose and perhaps was off by a touch. It has michelins with about 80-90% tread left, i wonder if when they were brand new that is when the paint scuffs happened

Please advise, i am really ticked about this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can leave it raised up with one light on with no problems. It may have a lowering module installed or lowering links.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had similar concerns about my SL600 when I got it, but I love the lowered look with 20" wheels. Two photos here show mine at its lowest point, which is about 26" high on the front wheel from ground to fender. I can fit about finger width at its lowest point between fender and tire, but would have to measure to see what that is. I just did ABC service and rodeo test, where my mechanic watched it doing rodeo because he was unsure of the fender/tire issue as well, but that all went well. He indicated the height should be fine unless I am racing very hard and doing real hard cornering, and only then know when it rubs or not, but I don't do 90 into corners. I ride either on the 1st red button or the lowest height (which seems to be stiffer though), and have not had problems either way. I have seen cars lower than mine, such as Beemers with about 1/2" it seems between tire and fender. Only other issue I can think of that may matter is what height they had the car alligned at, because I am sure wheel/tire camber would change at different heights and cause uneven wear if you don't ride where it was set. If you are not rubbing now with your driving style, then you are probably ok. http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=33606

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

I just measured and at the lowest setting it is under 26" which is too low. At one light it is at 26 3/8" so i guess i will go for that and if i was ever at a car show or something i can drop it to the under 26" level it was about 25 3/4 to 25 7/8. It still looks good at the one light level

What is a stock setup. When mine is on two lights it almost looks close to what i am used to seeing

I wonder if i was the one that made the wheel rub and remove a little paint on the bottom of the fender lip. You can see it unless you crawl under. I am going to touch it up to prevent further issues. Maybe the last owner knew to drive it on one light

Doesn't the car lower itself when over a certain speed, i hope it is ok on one light on the highway

Thoughts?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't take my 26" too technical, as what really matters is the clearance between the fender and tire. The height from ground to fender could be different depending on your rim and tire size if you are comparing car to car, or comparing your tires to a stock tire that came with the car, which may increase the diameter too and get closer to the fender. My front are 255/30/20. This link helps compare sizes: Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes

Using the calculator for my front tires compared to stock tires showed basically no difference in tire diameter (225/30/20 mine versus stock tire of 255/40/18).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here in the midwest, with freeze/thaw cycle-induced road surface irregularities, a car that low might never get on the road!
An adjustment at the MB dealer cost me $112

·
Registered
115 Posts
Robertpel - lowering links are what I have heard to be the most common lowering method in the UK. owever I would imagine that this means the camber of the wheels may not be exactly what it should ideally be? Refitting factory standard links may not be very expensive at all.

I don't normally go for modified cars, not at all, but I can respect what Jan T and T dub have done to their cars even if it's not to my taste. Can I ask one question? I have been put off of buying the cars that are lowered/modified wheels because I felt that there was a risk they were not as well maintained as other cars. I thought that maybe the owners were more interested in 'looks' than 'mechanical condition'. Do you think I may have a point, be totally wrong, or somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Robertpel - lowering links are what I have heard to be the most common lowering method in the UK. owever I would imagine that this means the camber of the wheels may not be exactly what it should ideally be? Refitting factory standard links may not be very expensive at all.

I don't normally go for modified cars, not at all, but I can respect what Jan T and T dub have done to their cars even if it's not to my taste. Can I ask one question? I have been put off of buying the cars that are lowered/modified wheels because I felt that there was a risk they were not as well maintained as other cars. I thought that maybe the owners were more interested in 'looks' than 'mechanical condition'. Do you think I may have a point, be totally wrong, or somewhere in the middle.
Even a non modifed car can be abused or babied by a previous owner. There really is no way of knowing how the car has been treated unless you know the car from day one.

As far as my purchase, I relied on a pre-purchase inspection at an independent shop who specialized in Mercedes Benz vehicles and, as it turns out, did all of the modifications to the vehicle and assured me that it was a very sound car. In fact, he offered to buy it from me if I found his statements to be untrue. I also asked a lot of questions about previous owners and found the answers to be adequete enough to go forward with the purchase. Additionally, knowing that Renntech is a quality aftermarket product that I was already familiar with, it made my decision a no brainer.

I suggest that you contact the seller and ask them if they did the lowering and with what method. If it was not them, take it to a qualified shop and they can tell exactly what was done to the vehcile and what needs to be done to get it back to stock if that is what you are looking to do.

·
Registered
161 Posts

I have a lot of highly modified cars, and found that usually when one spends all that money on modifications, they really respect all aspects of their car, including maintenance as well. But I always have them checked out professionally before buying, body-wise as well as mechanical. To buy without doing that is like going to Vegas. Nice thing about these MBZ is that all service seems to be tracked by computer, when I took my car in for pre-inspection it had about 3 pages of all kinds of regular maintenance on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts