Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2009 VW EOS (Wife's car), 2016 Mercedes E400 4Matic
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've had some annoyances with the Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT that was installed "at a shop" by the previous owner on my 94 E320 sedan. Fortunately, this is the only modification from factory that the car has or that the previous owner did!
First off, the Blaupunkt is a great deck overall. I like it much more than the similarly priced (<$200) Alpine that I installed in the wagon a couple years ago.
The issue is that the deck would not turn itself back on with the ignition if it was on before the car turned off. It would also seem to forget EQ settings and radio stations, etc. when turning the car off.
I knew going into this that it was probably just a matter of switching the ignition 12V and the constant 12v lines. Since the PO purchased the Blaupunkt brand and seemed to be all about German stuff, I figured one reason he did this was for the plug-and-play capability of the Blaupunkt deck into a W124. I was wrong!

[/URL][/IMG]

The "shop" he used took the Blaupunkt harness that came with the deck and wired it to an adapter harness, like Crutchfield would sell, to hook it up to the factory wiring! LOL. On top of that, check out their splicing method...

[/URL][/IMG]

Yes, that is bare wire twisted together and taped. Here is the aftermarket harness adapter next to where it plugs into the factory harness...

[/URL][/IMG]

The completely unnecessary spaghetti I removed from the dash.

[/URL][/IMG]

After removing the adapter mess, I simply plugged the factory harness directly into the Blaupunkt and now all is well. Even the dimmer function works now! Classic.

· Cruise Control
'87 300TD Myna 7mm pump and HX30 /'89 Vanagon TDI 12mm pump and GT2052
52,336 Posts
Somewhat tangential--I recently pulled a Blaupunkt in a friend's E36 BMW, and found that inside all the parts were labeled as Sony. I don't think Bosch even makes their own stereo stuff anymore

· Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,775 Posts
Somewhat tangential--I recently pulled a Blaupunkt in a friend's E36 BMW, and found that inside all the parts were labeled as Sony. I don't think Bosch even makes their own stereo stuff anymore
The medium to low end (sub $500) Blaupunkt stuff is made in Asia and is on the same level quality wise as Sony's Explode series.

The high end stuff, like the Blaupunkts in my W124 are made in the EU. Unfortunately, they have the EU price to match. The headunit in my diesel cost $1500 and that's before the optional accessories like hard drive, GPS unit, iPod connectivity, Bluetooth, etc, etc. But it is the only headunit that looks and feels as if it is factory installed and the VarioColor feature (4096 hues) matches the dash/console lights like nothing else out there.

FWIW, Blaupunkt is no longer owned by Robert Bosch as of a few years back. Blaupunkt is now part of the Rockford Corporation.

· Cruise Control
'87 300TD Myna 7mm pump and HX30 /'89 Vanagon TDI 12mm pump and GT2052
52,336 Posts
That's good to know, but probably never going to be within my price range. I miss the clean Teutonic look and feel of the older Blaus and Beckers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.