Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been plenty of threads that go along the lines of "Help!!! Clogged fuel filters" and "Algae infested tank!!!" Plenty of solutions for the aftermath, however, I want to avoid having to make my own personal help thread on the front side while my tank is nice and clean,(so I hope:rolleyes:) I want to know how to avoid this situation. I rather not simply have to throw some chemicals in every tank full. I'm away at school so the car sits most of the time but gets a nice drive every month or so; still not enough to burn any significant amount of fuel over time to require refueling. Should I keep the tank full, empty or does it even matter and what are your suggestions to preventing this preventable problem?

·
Registered
965 Posts
There have been plenty of threads that go along the lines of "Help!!! Clogged fuel filters" and "Algae infested tank!!!" Plenty of solutions for the aftermath, however, I want to avoid having to make my own personal help thread on the front side while my tank is nice and clean,(so I hope:rolleyes:) I want to know how to avoid this situation. I rather not simply have to throw some chemicals in every tank full. I'm away at school so the car sits most of the time but gets a nice drive every month or so; still not enough to burn any significant amount of fuel over time to require refueling. Should I keep the tank full, empty or does it even matter and what are your suggestions to preventing this preventable problem?
Full tank to prevent water condensing on the empty walls, fresh fuel from where the truckers buy.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
As said before buy from some place that Truckers use.

If a station Truckers use give them a load of bad Fuel the Truckers are on the Radio telling everyone who can hear to avoid that Station.
Since a Station can lose a lot of business that way they keep the Fuel Clean.

When you find a place that has clean Fuel keep going there.

It seems like the most common time people get a load of bad Fuel is when they take a trip outside their local area and buy Fuel from like a small Town Station.
The other common time people have issues is when they buy a Car or their own Car has sat some where for a long time; I mean stored or not run for something like 1 year.

Another real common place to get a bad load of Fuel is from a work place that has their own large Fuel tank.

On Marine Diesel powered Boats they sometimed do something called Fuel Polishing.
Do an internet search if you are interested in knowing what Fuel Polishing is.

Other than the above occasional treatmentment with Chemicals is actually not a bad deal.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I go to a trucker stop for fuel? Aren't there rules or a different procedure for getting fuel? I don't mind just showing up at a station and I will if I have to but I don't want to look like a fool or have someone say something like "you have a car, not a truck, you know you can get fuel from a regular station right?"

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How do I go to a trucker stop for fuel? Aren't there rules or a different procedure for getting fuel? I don't mind just showing up at a station and I will if I have to but I don't want to look like a fool or have someone say something like "you have a car, not a truck, you know you can get fuel from a regular station right?"
I have not had any trouble, just wait your turn. You money is just as green. I even go to buy fuel for my Kubota, just a few Gal at a time, w just my D2 plactic yellow jug!

good luck!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I always add something, at least Power Service. It has a cleaner & and a Slick 50 lubricant for the IP. Ours were not made to run on ULSD.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I always add something, at least Power Service. It has a cleaner & and a Slick 50 lubricant for the IP. Ours were not made to run on ULSD.
X2 ULSD is a drying agent, some people add oil to the fuel, but there is additives meant for what you are worried. There is one made to storage fuel, Kleen brand.

I buy B100, from the refinery! Can't beat that lubricity & freshness! :D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't think Master7 drives it often enough for B100. If his tank is not clean all the junk thats on the tank walls will come off & clog everything.

Lucas makes a good fuel stabilizer fir gas & diesel!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Add a gallon of gasoline to a (almost) full tank of diesel when you fill up. Correct me if I am wrong, Mercedes allows for up to 30% gasoline. A few tanks kills the fungus.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don't think Master7 drives it often enough for B100. If his tank is not clean all the junk thats on the tank walls will come off & clog everything.

Lucas makes a good fuel stabilizer fir gas & diesel!
Yup, I drove more than 800 miles a mo. for 14 months, the inline clear fuel filter is pristine for months now, I bet I got rid if all mayor gunk already. I needed to do purges change filters 3 times every 3 months in the first 9 months, after that the injection is awesome... I have had other issues not related to fuel.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Add a gallon of gasoline to a (almost) full tank of diesel when you fill up. Correct me if I am wrong, Mercedes allows for up to 30% gasoline. A few tanks kills the fungus.
That seems like a lot to me. I would think it would really be stretching the lubricity of the ULSD esp at 30%. Was that with the pre-2007 diesel maybe? I do agree that the gasoline would kill the bacteria.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts