Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ya, they had one at the Geneva Auto Show a 2-3 years back that had been through the offset crash test. Not only was the passenger compartment intact, the windshield wasn't even broken.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, they had one at the Geneva Auto Show a 2-3 years back that had been through the offset crash test. Not only was the passenger compartment intact, the windshield wasn't even broken.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Well actually...

Wow! This crash is unbelievable [:0]

Both cars did what they were designed to do. The Smart has a rigid cell to activate the other car's crumple zone (since the Smart doesn't have a lot of crumple space in the first place), whereas the E-class (and other MB vehicles in fact) has a crumple zone which is also designed to limit damage to a smaller vehicle.

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
Re: Yes, but how do you think some of the other sub Bs would have done?

Yes, but how do you think some of the other sub Bs would have done?
Extremely poorly. Passengers may not have made it.

Download this video (25.4 Mb): http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/videos/Sclass_Smart.avi

It is pretty amazing. Sure the Smart ended up on it's side, but no one would have been hurt in the accident.

The Smart in an accident is kinda of like kicking a brick around. It still moves, but maintains its original shape.

·
Registered
67 Posts
RE: Well actually...

[QUOTEThe Smart has a rigid cell to activate the other car's crumple zone (since the Smart doesn't have a lot of crumple space in the first place)[/QUOTE]

What I want to know is, what happens when two Smarts collide?

·
Registered
'08 E63 AMG Wagon. C280 (320) track/drift slag. Wife has CLK500 Convertible
1,027 Posts
RE: Well actually...

Andrew Noakes - 1/14/2004 10:31 AM

What I want to know is, what happens when two Smarts collide?
They bounce? [;)]

·
Registered
C 111 Nardo
9,416 Posts
RE: What I want to know is, what happens when two Smarts collide?

Two Smarts are too smart to collide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts