Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why sometimes when I remove the gas cap after a short drive ,there will be a release of pressure? Other times after driving for a while ,remove the gas cap and no pressure release at all. any ideas why the difference. Car is a 74 450 sl.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,196 Posts
Gas sloshing around creates pressure. The less gas in the tank, the more pressure seems to build. The SL tank has a pressure release doohickey that, in first generation, would release the pressure to atmosphere..
Second generation releases it to a hard line that ends at the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
3,524 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here and say that you possible have bad check valves at the fuel pump allowing pressure to build back into the tank...it happens to mine at times. A fellow MB owner that also owns an import parts house here in town suggested that I replace mine. He sells them for something like $20 a piece.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
They put a non-vented gas cap on your car allowing the pressure in the tank to build up and release pressure when you open up the gas cap. I failed smog once for not having the non-vented gas cap so that is the deal. A guy with a 380sl euro behind me showed me the difference and 1/4 a gallon of gas came out of his tank, kind of funny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts