Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again. Guess I'm posting a bit more lately. I'm preparing to cross the big 60,000 miles on my SLK 230 soon. What are the gotches? Scary she'll be 66 months old (anyone frightened? 66 and 6k? Planet alignment scary? AAh! Okay nevermind... Anyway...

MB has recommended I get my next B service at 60324 miles, and says that I need the following work done:

B Service (I think this is oil change?)
Plus:
Brake inspection
Spark plugs replaced
Retighten Gear bolts
Fuel Filter replace
Air filter replace
Engine coolant replace
Break Fluid replace
Check alignment
Interim Service (LOF) <-- what's this?

and estimates it will be approximately $900.

Now I usually change my own oil around 3k miles with the Mobil 1 synt 10W-30 so I'll skip that and should knock $100 off. But what about all the other stuff? The spark plug stuff caught me off guard because I thought we had 100k mile spark plugs. When I asked they said that they've had the occation where spark plugs will freeze up in the engine and can only be removed by drilling them out which is very expensive. He said that it's cheaper to go ahead and do it now -- and that I'd have a slight performance boost by doing it so. This seems a little foolish to me.

Thoughts? Opinions? What else are folks having done? Should I do some of this myself? Take to a certified service mechanic but not the MB dealership?

I just had my summer tires put on and they inspect the brakes there and said they were fine for probably anther 15-20k miles easily although they didn't mechanically measure them or anything. Just a visual inspection....

Thanks,
Douglas

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Change the transmission oil if you haven't done so yet.

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
I recently paid $250 for an oil change (Mobile 1), coolant flush and fill, and brake fluild flush and fill. This was from a private shop, although dealer prices should be comprable (if you buy on a per item basis, not bundled with the "B" service).

You should replace your brake fluid and coolant every 2 - 4 years. So, just check when you last had those things changed.

Anyone else car to comment about the spark plugs? I think I have my original ones (55K miles) on my 98.

Cheers,
Pat

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
I had my spark plugs replaced at 100 000km (roughly 62 000 miles) along with transmission fluid changed. The car felt smoother and maybe a tiny little bit quicker, but not much (any gain was probably due to the new air filter).
As for the brakes, if they charge you for it, don't bother. You will know when you need new brakes since the light on the dash will come on.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
dbottoms - 4/21/2005 2:17 PM
B Service (I think this is oil change?)
Plus:
Brake inspection
Spark plugs replaced
Retighten Gear bolts
Fuel Filter replace
Air filter replace
Engine coolant replace
Break Fluid replace
Check alignment
Interim Service (LOF) <-- what's this?

and estimates it will be approximately $900.

Now I usually change my own oil around 3k miles with the Mobil 1 synt 10W-30 so I'll skip that and should knock $100 off. But what about all the other stuff? The spark plug stuff caught me off guard because I thought we had 100k mile spark plugs. When I asked they said that they've had the occation where spark plugs will freeze up in the engine and can only be removed by drilling them out which is very expensive. He said that it's cheaper to go ahead and do it now -- and that I'd have a slight performance boost by doing it so. This seems a little foolish to me.
Don't buy in to the mileage qoutes on things like Sparkplugs. There are a number of factors which effect their life and performance. They are a wear item. I personally have never put near 60k miles on a set of plugs, I change them earlier.

If you are trying to save costs there was nothing listed that you can not easily do yourself. About everyplace under the sun (except the dealer) will inspect your brakes & alignment for free. The brake pads are easy to change. $900 seems rather steep for what they are going to do to your car.

If it was me I would have them change the diff and transmission fluid, flush the brakes (not difficult but can be a pain) and flush the cooling system. Then change the plugs, oil, airfilter, etc. myself.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
29 Posts
I just got through changing the front pads and rotors, oil and filter, spark plugs, and air filter myself. All of them are fairly simple if you don't mind getting your hand dirty. I plan on doing my own manual tranny oil and rear diff oil chage as well.

From what I've found out, the manual tranny oil is a GLS-2 grade lube which is a special Mercedes oil which I haven't been able to find an equivalent for in the local auto parts store. But the rear diff just uses a hypoid gear oil.

All of these services are something that you could probably do yourself if you feel confident enough in your abilities.

Mike

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Thordog - 5/2/2005 9:03 AM

I just got through changing the front pads and rotors, oil and filter, spark plugs, and air filter myself. All of them are fairly simple if you don't mind getting your hand dirty. I plan on doing my own manual tranny oil and rear diff oil chage as well.

From what I've found out, the manual tranny oil is a GLS-2 grade lube which is a special Mercedes oil which I haven't been able to find an equivalent for in the local auto parts store. But the rear diff just uses a hypoid gear oil.

All of these services are something that you could probably do yourself if you feel confident enough in your abilities.

Mike
You can definitely do most of this stuff yourself but if u have access to a lift it makes the tranny and rear diff sooo much easier to change. There are great instruction on a website i think slk32.com for both of these procedures. I also changed out the tranny in my manual but went w/a full synthetic from red line racing, I also went synthetic in the rear. Crazy as it may sound the tranny seems to be a bit smoother, less notchy, just a bit. BTW I changed it at 45k and the oil was clearly at the end of its life so by all means change it out. If your interested I can try and dig out the synthetics I used but you probably will need to order them online or know a good shop because it took me some time to find them. The nice part is the manual tranny doesnt require much fluid so even though each quart is pricey you dont need 15 of em.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
so what fluid for the manual tranny? i got 99 SLK230 5spd....

I just got the car and im know the previous owner didn't do jack ... so i gotta do Diff and Trans Fluid immediately more so than anything.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
SLKRoadster99 - 5/2/2005 8:02 PM

so what fluid for the manual tranny? i got 99 SLK230 5spd....

I just got the car and im know the previous owner didn't do jack ... so i gotta do Diff and Trans Fluid immediately more so than anything.
redline MTL for the tranny
redline gear 75-90wt
tis what I used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts