Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I've been so car conscious recently, I'm always worried about my car. It is a strain on my nerves. I am right now about 200 miles over my 3,000 mile oil change mark. Can I go another 350 and be alright before my oil change? I feel so ignorant. ANyway, tomorrow is Sunday and I could go to Pep Boys, but now I'm anal about them putting a ProLine filter in there. Whatever that is. I am also starting to get particular about what they put in the engine. I want this car to last me over 200k.

Maybe I should give up and buy a Honda.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I don't think 350 miles or 450 miles over will hurt it if the oil seems to be relatively clean. That is the definitive answer. I have, not intentionally ran over a 1000 miles over and the only thing was the oil consumption went up in the last 1000 miles. the car is Mariah and she will use 1/2 quart between changes of 3000 miles. That time a full qt would have been too much and the level was still within the marks. I live in the high Mojave Desert, not a clean environment at all.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
It is NOT going to hurt with 350 miles. Just take a look at the dipstick to see if the oil is clean or dark.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is NOT going to hurt with 350 miles. Just take a look at the dipstick to see if the oil is clean or dark.
It was dark pretty much a few days after the oil change. The mechanic used some Conventional oil I haven't heard of and says he uses it on all his imports. I've got the receipt in my glove box, I'll check what it is and just top off. I'm also thinking I can stop at a place when I'm down there or on the way.

As a side note, I'm starting to get discouraged mainly because of the economy. Next week I am on corporate furlough, then the following 5 weeks my plant is shutting down operations. I got lucky as I was selected to work special projects at another plant during that time, but the hatchet falls pretty close to my nose as they just laid off one of the 4 engineers at the plant Friday... I know at some point I'll have all maintenance done for a while, but it's piling up at a bad time. I also don't mean to post this stuff on the forum, but I like the community here a lot and this is me opening up? :) Haha, anyway, this stress is car related, so hopefully if any of you have had similar experiences, you wouldn't mind sharing to make me feel less like a Styrofoam cup in the middle of the sea.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,296 Posts
What's the oil? A lot of the new oils aren't so hot for our engines. The only economically priced oil that I'd use is Brad Penn. The only available in stores (as opposed to online) oil that I trust is Mobil 1 15-50. Beyond that there are other good oils but they're $$$.

Having said that, as far as the oil you have in there versus new oil that you can get at the store, not a big deal. Granted they do more highway driving, but in Europe they were going a lot further than 3000 miles on an oil change. Highway miles aren't going to make the oil much dirtier anyways. Smell and feel the oil. If it doesn't smell gassy and feel watered down, go about your business. I like to do it every 3000 miles but 4000 isn't going to hurt it.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Dude! How can I say this delicately...Welcome to the new norm. You are not alone...this is happening to all of us. No worries.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude! How can I say this delicately...Welcome to the new norm. You are not alone...this is happening to all of us. No worries.
Awesome. Yeah well I'm only 24, not even a year out of college, in a new state alone, 2nd car ever. It's a little overwhelming but I never quit.

I do primarily highway driving. 20 minutes each way to work on a relatively empty interstate.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Your best bet.

Castrol 20/50

Mann Oil Filter.

350 miles over is not much, but I would go ahead and do it now though.

I DO IT ABOUT EVERY 3000 MILES, but maybe 2500 OR SO IF I KNOW I AM JUST ABOUT TO TAKE OFF FOR SO CAL AGAIN. (and I am going back next week, :) having just got back from there where I put on 2400 miles just after a Mercedes Benz dealer Oil change service).

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Awesome. Yeah well I'm only 24, not even a year out of college, in a new state alone, 2nd car ever. It's a little overwhelming but I never quit.
QUOTE]

Yankees never quit! I am from Westchester NY and miss it but I mainly run around in shorts and polo's all year down here. You need a change!!

It is very overwhelming... just be thankful you have your health, no kids to feed imagine the stress if you do. It will all work out your intelligent. When your young your chasing wealth but when you get older your chasing your health. So stay ahead of the game.;)

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC(gone but not forgoten) 1988 560SL 1998 E320 4matic wagon
258 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it .I read a article in popular mechanics a couple of years ago that looked into all these aditives and oils. (remember the tv ads where the guy drained all the oil out of the engine and it kept running?) Anyway the crux of the article was as long as the can had the API starburst on the side its all the same stuff. They also said that with the new oil technologies changing more often than 5-7k mi is a waste. I still do mine at 3k but I don't get upset if it goes over. I do use the walmart brand which is cheap and has the API starburst.
BTW my moms E320 wagon Merc only aproves mobil 1 0w45 but says 10kmi I do that one at 5k
Hey if you want to save money you can always diy. I do

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Cold hard fact. The younger worker is often kept, while an older more experienced worker is let go. Why? Economics. The younger worker doesn't have the experience, but doesn't cost the company near as much as that seasoned worker with all the experience. The fact that they are moving you around may mean that they want to keep you.
I worked all through the spectrum from dub drafter through Senior Design Engineer on CAD.
Been kept when I thought I'd be let go. and let go because of my experience, I made too much money. That happens in good times and in bad.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts