Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a pre-owned '04 ML350. The dealer says Mercedes recommends premium unleaded gasoline but he says there should be no impact other than the occasional engine knock if I always use regular.

Is this true? Should I plan on using regular gas? If this isn't as good for the car as premium gas, would it help if I mix it up a bit?

Also, is the '94 ML350 the W163?

Thanks very much in advance.

Jesse

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Jesse: First congrats on the 04 ML350. You're gonna love it! Yes, it's a W163. Stick with what your owners manual says for gasoline octane. I just filled up my 05 ML500SE today with 91 octane where I live in California. It cost $2.83 per gallon. At the same station 87 octane was $2.71 per gallon. .12 cents per gallon X 22= $2.64. That's less than a pack of cigarettes if you smoke, or less than a 6 pack of beer if you drink. Why go cheap on a $40K truck? German engines are bullet proof if you take care of them and feed them right. Fill-er-up with 91+ and enjoy your ride man! [8D]

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
jsegovia - 4/18/2005 7:12 PM

I've just purchased a pre-owned '04 ML350. The dealer says Mercedes recommends premium unleaded gasoline but he says there should be no impact other than the occasional engine knock if I always use regular.

Is this true? Should I plan on using regular gas? If this isn't as good for the car as premium gas, would it help if I mix it up a bit?

Also, is the '94 ML350 the W163?

Thanks very much in advance.

Jesse
Premium is preferred. Will you do any damage with regular? Probably not. In addition to maximizing performance, though, premium hs a better additive package to keep the insides of your engine clean. Whether it's worth it is up to your finances, how long you intend to keep it, etc.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Since the engine has knock sensors, it is highly unlikely you will ever hear a knock because the engine management algorithims are pretty advanced. Don't forget that this engine was made for world wide use and it is unlikely that 91 octane is available in all world regions. I have found that using lower octane gas results in lower gas milage such that the cost per mile is basically a constant: the implication being that 91 octane is probably the best. A more noticable difference in performance is seen between summer and winter fuels in those regions which must use oxygenated fuel such as Denver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for all the replies. Is this engine built in Alabama along with the rest of the car or is this a standard MB engine from Germany used in other vehicles?

Jesse

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
My Service and Warranty Information booklet for year 2000 - Trucks states on page 26, Mercedes-Benz USA, Inc. may deny an emission related warranty claim if it can establish that the failure or the malfuction of an emission control system part results directly from the use of non-premium low octane fuel in the engine (i.e. fuel with an anti-knock index of below 91 as displayed on the fuel pump). This probably would also apply to the newer models also. Just my 2 cents. [;)]

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
ML engine/transmission

jsegovia - 4/19/2005 5:35 AM

Thanks very much for all the replies. Is this engine built in Alabama along with the rest of the car or is this a standard MB engine from Germany used in other vehicles?

Jesse
The engine and transmission are built in Germany, I believe.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You may want to do a consumption check and report back so that we all know the answer please.

I suspect you will use slightly less higher octane fuel than lower octane.

In other words I believe the extra cost of higher octane fuel is offset by lower consumption and perhaps slightly more power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again, everyone. This afternoon I go in to complete the paperwork but the car itself won't be ready until tomorrow. :(

That's a great idea, to check mileage with both kinds of gas. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Jesse

·
Registered
03 ML320
46 Posts
The Engine is DESIGNED to run 91+ octane fuel.
It will achieve the best performance and fuel consumption using the fuel intended for it.

If you are in a bind and can't get 91+ octane then you can use lower octane. The engine computer will retard timing and lower the performance of the motor to prevent damaging it. It is not good to use this fuel all the time.

So use what is recommended for it "premium".

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,236 Posts
RE: ML engine/transmission

The engine and transmission are built in Germany, I believe.
That is correct. They are built in the Mercedes-Benz Stuttgart engine factory and shipped to Alabama where they are installed as one unit. The engines are identical to the models used in the passenger cars except for some minor changes in the intake manifold to create a torque curve better suited to an SUV.

- RODNEY

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,236 Posts
Premium is preferred. Will you do any damage with regular? Probably not. In addition to maximizing performance, though, premium hs a better additive package to keep the insides of your engine clean. Whether it's worth it is up to your finances, how long you intend to keep it, etc.
That’s not entirely true. For most gasoline brands, the same additives are used across all octane ratings. In fact, the “mid-grade� is often created simply by mixing the higher and lower grades (octane ratings are a linear equation, so equal parts of 87 octane and 91 octane = 89 octane).

You should always use a fuel with an octane rating as indicated by the manufacturer, which is based on the compression ratio. Since all MBZ vehicles use high-compression engines, it is necessary to use a higher octane fuel to avoid premature combustion due to the heat generated from the higher compression. The engine does have a knock sensor, which will advance ignition timing to eliminate the “ping�, but there will still be additional stresses placed on the engine since combustion will happen prior to the piston reaching TDC.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Top Tier Gas

"Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction."

====> <a href="http://www.toptiergas.com"> more</a>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts