Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 W210, 1999 R129 SL500
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 SL500 with exceptionally low mileage (under 10K) going in for presale inspection before I make finale decision. 1st owner CA car until 6 yrs ago. 4k miles since then, Stellar MB service records on Carfax until last 6 years - during this time only one oil change at a local tire shop and no MB visits. Should I be concerned?. Max I should pay? Sorry if misplaced - saw no fit for what I was posting. Rick

·
Registered
M113 SL500
521 Posts
Was there only 1 oil change done or only 1 record? The oil was changed only once because only 4k miles were accumulated in 6 years? Technically the oil should have been changed at least once a year regardless of miles driven . If you decide to buy it, you should have the fluids changed straight away. A 6 years period requires basically refreshing all the fluids (except maybe trans and diff), most importantly the brake fluid, even if low miles.

I have no idea what an example with that low miles should sell for, but you're in for some remedial work. Some think cars that mostly sit around/garage queens are the worst ones to buy.

·
Registered
2001 SL500
449 Posts
Don’t pay more than 25k . Find out what’s wrong/ what fluid conditions are, and any fluid with no records in the last 3 years, change those immediately.

make sure soft top works and doesn’t leak

·
Registered
1998 SL500
11 Posts
Not a Mercedes story. I did the garage queen thing and found out the hard way that a lot of seals and hoses go bad quickly if you start to use the car more regularly. I bought a 1997 Porsche 993 Turbo in 2005 with 9k miles from a high line dealer and paid top dollar. After 2 months and 3k miles, I had to replace valve cover gaskets, turbo hoses, rebuild turbos (because seals gave up and allowed excess oil to drain into turbos while sitting unused--really needed check valves to begin with), belts and shocks/struts (started leaking). All basic stuff but in hind sight, I would have negotiated better and not fallen for a low mile one owner garage queen. I'd try and find a car from an enthusiast that may be selling where you know it has been serviced and driven regularly. If you want a museum object to not drive...that's different.

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
715 Posts
I think it will ultimately depend on what you see and hear when you are with the car and owner. Lumpy2 makes good points, though I think the 993 turbo may be wound a little tighter than an SL500. And depending how it was stored (and used -- could have been frequent, but short trips and garaged and DIY'd in between -- hence poor records), 6 years isn't an eternity. There may be some issues but I find my car very easy to work on. Some jobs are obviously worse then others, but aside from alignment and A/C work, I can do it all myself. So it will also depend on how you are planning to use and service it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was there only 1 oil change done or only 1 record? The oil was changed only once because only 4k miles were accumulated in 6 years? Technically the oil should have been changed at least once a year regardless of miles driven . If you decide to buy it, you should have the fluids changed straight away. A 6 years period requires basically refreshing all the fluids (except maybe trans and diff), most importantly the brake fluid, even if low miles.

I have no idea what an example with that low miles should sell for, but you're in for some remedial work. Some think cars that mostly sit around/garage queens are the worst ones to buy.
Thank you so much for your reply! Think there is a 7500 mi service due & this will be done before winter settles in and at that time fluids will be attended to. Any idea what this service cost is? One oil change came up on Carfax. I have known owner since well before he bought the car. He, just as prior owner, never drove the car in the rain so I was told. Only thing wrong that I see is a couple scrapes under the front air dam, a blemish on a wheel and a missing front tow hook cover. Do you kmnow where can I get one of these? Thanks again for your reply. Rick

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
715 Posts
Hey Rick - if you are near enough in NJ to get to me -- will be happy to help you DIY the fluid flushes and whatever else it needs. Cost would be whatever fluids and filters run.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So very thoighful of you indeed! Where are you located?

·
Registered
73 450 SLC, 99 SL500
170 Posts
"Only thing wrong that I see is a couple scrapes under the front air dam, a blemish on a wheel and a missing front tow hook cover."

My '99 has 100k miles, and the same three "issues"! I think they all do...

·
Registered
2001 SL500
449 Posts
Here’s your tow hook cover:

I bought a dome light cover replacement from him and the quality surpasses the original, while maintaining the original texture. A tow hook cover from him should be great too. Trustworthy seller, but he kinda takes forever to ship.

keep in mind brand new genuine tow cover is $300+

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you again! This forum is a real find for me. I hope someday I can be a contributor too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here’s your tow hook cover:

I bought a dome light cover replacement from him and the quality surpasses the original, while maintaining the original texture. A tow hook cover from him should be great too. Trustworthy seller, but he kinda takes forever to ship.

keep in mind brand new genuine tow cover is $300+
Thanks for that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just "discovered" from the seller that the headliner on the hard top has to be replaced. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
715 Posts
guessing since it was in California, the hardtop was rarely on and probably not stored well? I have heard that the material is difficult to find or NLA, but I would think a reputable auto upholstery shop should be able to do something that is sufficient for the 5 months (or so) you will use it. Are you planning on driving this car, or will it just be a showpiece due to the low mileage?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is definitely a toy and will be driven but it will have limited use. It won't be driven in the rain and it will be stored in the winter. I had a toy once and it never was driven in the rain including in the five years I had it. Figure this deal will be going down soon. Is there a way to privately message members of this forum?

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
715 Posts
if you click on your 'account details' avatar in the upper right of the page -- there is a line for 'coversations'. Click that and it should allow you to start one with recipients you choose

1 - 20 of 23 Posts