Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes S350
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 2004 Mercedes S350 with 140,000 KM (86,991 Miles).
I am having many problems with this car. Just three days after when it bought the car it kept me giving me "Check Coolant Level" malfunction. It took the car to the Mechanic and he said that the problem was regarding the head gasket. I got it repaired and drove the car for a coupe of weeks and every thing seemed fine. But yesterday while on the driving on the highway it gave me "Pre-Safe Inactive" Malfunction and car wouldn't go over second gear, it just stays in the first gear. I tried turning the car off & then back on, and drove it for a few minutes everything was completely okay until that "Pre-Safe Inactive" Malfunction come again. I took the car to the same Mechanic, and now he say that he will have to change the gear box. What is the solution to this problem? Is it regarding some electronic problem or do i really have get the gear box replaced?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
LOL, change your mechanic, he is either stupid or is screwing you.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,893 Posts
From the "resets" portion of the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1302190-ive-had-2.html#post2216730 - to address the Pre-Safe warning:

Synchronizing ESP - BAS, ESP and (if you have it) ABC Lights On, or if you have a Pre-Safe warning:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or empty), the BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp may be illuminated with the engine running, and you could have a Pre-Safe warning. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out. For more on resetting the entire ECU, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1210257-found-ecu-reset-procedure.html and also post #4 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1675241-bsa-esp.html
In addition, if your battery was disconnected, it could also have triggered the "Limp" mode, which is a fail-safe method of getting you home if there is a transmission problem. Try disconnecting the battery, leave it disconnected for 5 minutes, then reconnect it. That MAY work. If it doesn't, then there may be serious problem with either the transmission itself (such as low fluid or damage), or with the Transmission Control Unit or the conductor plate. Diagnosis with DAS will be reqired to find the problem.

If you disconnect the battery and then experience problems with windows or seats not working properly, check the "resets" portion of the Encyclopedia. You may or may nor have such problems.

You really should look over the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia at the top of the first W220 forum page.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes S350
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, change your mechanic, he is either stupid or is screwing you.
He is the only good Mercedes Benz Mechanic in my area. He is really good with the Mechanical stuff but doesn't know much about about electrics & electronics.

·
Registered
2003 S430
2,438 Posts
I don't think that anyone who "...doesn't know much about electrics & electronics" can be a good Mercedes mechanic.

I sometime feel that my S430 is just a computer on wheels.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I don't think that anyone who "...doesn't know much about electrics & electronics" can be a good Mercedes mechanic.

I sometime feel that my S430 is just a computer on wheels.
I have to agree and it can be a nightmare for a mechanic who is not up to the electronics side of this job. Fault codes are the way to go forward when a car is in limp mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having many problems with this car. Just three days after when it bought the car it kept me giving me "Check Coolant Level" malfunction. It took the car to the Mechanic and he said that the problem was regarding the head gasket. I got it repaired and drove the car for a coupe of weeks and every thing seemed fine. But yesterday while on the driving on the highway it gave me "Pre-Safe Inactive" Malfunction and car wouldn't go over second gear, it just stays in the first gear. I tried turning the car off & then back on, and drove it for a few minutes everything was completely okay until that "Pre-Safe Inactive" Malfunction come again. I took the car to the same Mechanic, and now he say that he will have to change the gear box. What is the solution to this problem? Is it regarding some electronic problem or do i really have get the gear box replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
yesterday while on the driving on the highway it gave me "Pre-Safe Inactive" Malfunction and car wouldn't go over second gear, it just stays in the first gear. I tried turning the car off & then back on, and drove it for a few minutes everything was completely okay until that "Pre-Safe Inactive" Malfunction come again. I took the car to the same Mechanic, and now he say that he will have to change the gear box. What is the solution to this problem? Is it regarding some electronic problem or do i really have get the gear box replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mecedez s350 model 2004
yesterday while on the driving on the highway it gave me "Pre-Safe Inactive" Malfunction and car wouldn't go over second gear, it just stays in the first gear. I tried turning the car off & then back on, and drove it for a few minutes everything was completely okay until that "Pre-Safe Inactive" Malfunction come again. I took the car to the same Mechanic, and now he say that he will have to change the gear box. What is the solution to this problem? Is it regarding some electronic problem or do i really have get the gear box replaced?

·
Registered
2005 S600
480 Posts
The "pre-safe inactive" warning has many potential causes, from steering wheel angle sensor, to yaw rate sensor, to speed sensor and many others.

Any component that I might guess at will end up costing you $$ in parts and labor replacing it, and may not fix the problem.

You need to find a local mechanic (or dealer) and have them hook up the car to Mercedes Star Diagnostic System (SDS). That will talk to ALL the car's modules/computers and tell you why that message is coming on.

Once a proper diagnosis is done, then the repair can begin. Internet is an unreliable way to diagnose.

That said, if your battery voltage dropped because your battery went flat (lost charge), there are several resets that must be performed to make the modules happy. Windows, sunroof, and steering. Details are in your owner's manual.

The steering one is important because that steering angle sensor won't be happy (calibrated) until you do the reset (full lock to lock turns while stationary) and an unhappy steering angle input yields "pre-safe inactive".

Any chance that you had a flat battery lately? Need a jump start recently?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts