most problems I find.)

Some things I've noticed while driving it today:

• • The car seems to oversteer, particularly at highway speeds, where it
    really hunts around, mostly in the passing lane. It has new Michelin MXv4
    215/60/15 tires (mounted on Borbets) and has a good service record. No
    abnormal tire wear I can see. Does this indicate anything in particular
    with this car?
    • AC is low to nonexistent. Big issue?
    • How concerned should I be about 4Matic differential (and other) issues?
    • Asking price of $8,900 seems a bit high. Car has the rear seat, custom CD
    changer/radio, apparently with stock speakers, leather and a second set of
    stock wheels with all-season tires. Price fair?
    • How are maintenance costs on these cars?
It certainly is an impressive vehicle and I would like to like it. I grew up on Mercedes but have driven Porsche for the last couple decades so I'm not up on these cars. Any input much appreciated! Thanks..

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
A couple of things, these cars like to eat their transfer cases right about that mileage. SO I would be very concerned as fixing it is costly.

Also, front half shafts are prone to wearing out and they are QUITE pricey as well.

AC can be an expensive fix...

Maintaining a 124 wagon isn't bad, it's just that 4 Matic turns it into a $Matic when things start to go wrong..

That price is quite steep IMHO..

Unless you Need the AWD I'd just look for a regular 300TE..w/ ASR and a Good set of tired you'll get just about everywhere you need to be..

Jonathan

·
Registered
1993 Porsche 968
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm in Maine and the car would replace a Subaru Outback, so yes, the 4Matic is otherwise desirable.

BTW: I took the vehicle to my airconditioning shop and they say it has a leak, which could be 'very expensive' if it were in the interior of the car.

Interesting that you find the price substantially high. What would you think appropriate for the car I've described? Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
I too think the car is priced high also. The 4matic feature when new was a rather expensive option, but on the used market on a 14 y/o car, this feature is worth very little to the overall value of the car. Do a search for this model on some of the national car sites like a u t o t r a d e r . c o m or c a r s . c o m or a u t o e x t r a . c o m to reference prices on a national level. The fact that this is a dealer on a 14 y/o car is a bad sign imo. They will usually get these very cheap and i venture a guess that your dealer is planning on making $2k-$4k on this car. You should expect a price from $4500 to $6800 or so on a car of its age, Highside for a well maintained example. Do you frequently drive in snowstorms? If not, i stand w/ Johnathon on getting one w/ a limited slip axle w/o the 4 matic. Im in Mn and wouldnt even consider a 4 matic. I just drive around the weather as needed. Let us know what you decide and just remember, theres alot of cars out there to buy. bc.

·
Registered
1993 Porsche 968
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, folks.

Just for reference, if the 4WD goes down in the typical way, what are average repair costs?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
well, getting the transfer case back in order is a 2-3K affair.. The axle shafts are about 400 a side...and you need to be Careful when replacing them as there are a lot of Crap off shore rebuilders out there.

Plus, working on them is a nightmare, so labour rates to service these bits is always going to be high.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1993 Porsche 968
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much gentlemen- you have been a great help. In the seller's defense (he's a dealer I have known for years and has an excellent reputation) here are the online prices I had found for the car (barring unexpected news on its condition from PPI):
  • NADA (low/med/high):
    $6,700 $8,275 $9,475

Edmunds (private/dealer)
    $6,157 $8,419

Kelly (dealer)
    $8,720

1 - 7 of 7 Posts