Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a 1988 560SL. The guy who did the inspection says it's a really good one based on 38 years experience working on 107s. He says it doesn't need anything right away and it's roadworthy, but there are a few things that need attention. To save time (and a second diagnostic fee elsewhere) I'll have him do some of the work before I pick it up. Which of these things do y'all think I should do now?

RECOMMEND SHIFTER BUSHING, WORN

THIRD BRAKE LIGHT BULB OUT.

MOTOR MOUNTS WEAK, VIBRATION AT IDLE.

DRIVERS INNER DOOR HANDLE FEELS LOOSE, BROKEN?

WINDSHIELD WASHER CHECK VALVE BROKEN, NOZZLES DO NOT SPRAY.

LOWER BALL JOINT BOOTS TORN, CLUNK IN FRONT END

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,346 Posts
Motor mounts, ball joints, and shift bushing.

Everything else can be done by you in a day. The door handle probably 5 minutes. Just pop off the chrome false cover, unscrew, and remove the chrome plate. If you can't figure it out , the door card removal is easy too. Just be careful popping out the plastic rivets. More can be bought cheaply on eBay .

Forum sponsors are a good place to get the parts. Stick to OEM for the big mechanic job I mentioned , other stuff can be bought from a non OEM brand.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
38 Posts
The ball joints would be my very first thing to do. I would then replace ALL the bulbs, so it starts life as a "new" car. That is on you, as it's one day and easy. Motor mounts and shift bushings would be a two in one for a shop, item #2. As ok said, door handle is easy and almost anytime before it breaks. Who uses the window washer???:rolleyes:

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,288 Posts
That really does sound like a lovely machine - I wish my to-do list was that short!

Looking forward to some pics Anon, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
70 Posts
Just fix everything. All is important, nothing is expensive.
When changing the enginemounts change the frontaxle-mounts as well, after 30 years they are worn and you need to drive the same screws.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,297 Posts
It took me a whole weekend to replace ALL the bulbs on my car. I had a list, Sylvania this-and-that. Who knew, the thing had two license plate lights. When I couldn't aim the new headlights I discovered the little nylon keepers in the buckets were bad and so it proliferated....

Yes, do the ball joints and mounts first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had windshield nozzles that would not spray. Turns out there was debris in the reservoir that got pumped into the nozzles and clogged them. It's worth your time (and very easy) to drain and clean it before replacing anything.
Is the washer check valve easy to fix, if that's indeed what's broken?

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,836 Posts
All items on your list can be DIY. Your mechanic said nothing is urgent. Consider driving the car for awhile and getting acquainted on this forum, collecting parts information and knowledge about those repairs. These cars are most rewarding when you understand how they were built and learn how to maintain them yourself.

You started wisely by finding this group of enthusiasts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove it home today! 30+ mile drive on California highways, with hills. Lovely. I got stopped within 5 minutes of driving off the lot at the gas station by a dude complimenting the car :D

Thanks all for the encouragement. I'll have a pro do the hard stuff (bushing, joint, mounts) then gradually fix the easier stuff myself.

Pix forthcoming if y'all want :)

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
436 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I got stopped within 5 minutes of driving off the lot at the gas station by a dude complimenting the car :D

Don't say I didn't warn you (in the other thread)!:)

Pix forthcoming if y'all want :)
Yes, please.

Congratulations! It sounds like your first drive was very enjoyable. Too bad that you're all the way over on the other side. It would be neat to have a "twins" pic of our 107s side by side.

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
91 Posts
I am green with envy. That's just awesome.

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
91 Posts
Can you come pick me up here by the Chesapeake Bay? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts