Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be plenty of choices and discussion for 96 and later but what about pre 96? In my particular case a 95 SL 500 . Blinker types look widely available but gsxr states that my 95 should have 100 "readable data elements." A snap on is mentioned but no info. I see a baum CS2000 on ebay for 595.00 which is kinda pricey and I dont know if it would work anyway. Thats about all I could find so far. Its so confusing I was almost ready to order a carsoft 7.4 and then I just found it would not work on my car.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I suppose live data is great but about one person in a hundred ever learns how to use it or really needs it. A flash code reader is sufficient for everything but the EA/CC/ISC, which is pin 7. On that module there are sub-codes (as I call them) that require a more sophisticated reader - see link below. The left hand column is what you will get with the flash code reader, the second column from the left requires what they call a hand held tester, which is either the predecessor to the Star Diagnostic System or an early form of it. Notice at startekinfo.com that the other pins don't have a second level of codes - the flash code reader reads them all.

My theory is that if you don't have ASR you don't really need the sub-codes - the flash code reader is sufficient. If you have ASR, and you do, it's nice to have them. Some people go for years without a daunting enigmatic ASR problem and others have one for years on end. Eventually an ASR car is likely to get screwed up and need the sub-codes, which means either a more sophisticated reader or going off to the shop. CarSoft doesn't seem to have a good record with OBDI cars, and lousy support to boot. But you should always start with a flash code reader and worry about the next step when you outgrow it.

STAR TekInfo

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I suppose live data is great but about one person in a hundred ever learns how to use it or really needs it. A flash code reader is sufficient for everything but the EA/CC/ISC, which is pin 7. On that module there are sub-codes (as I call them) that require a more sophisticated reader - see link below. The left hand column is what you will get with the flash code reader, the second column from the left requires what they call a hand held tester, which is either the predecessor to the Star Diagnostic System or an early form of it. Notice at startekinfo.com that the other pins don't have a second level of codes - the flash code reader reads them all.

My theory is that if you don't have ASR you don't really need the sub-codes - the flash code reader is sufficient. If you have ASR, and you do, it's nice to have them. Some people go for years without a daunting enigmatic ASR problem and others have one for years on end. Eventually an ASR car is likely to get screwed up and need the sub-codes, which means either a more sophisticated reader or going off to the shop. CarSoft doesn't seem to have a good record with OBDI cars, and lousy support to boot. But you should always start with a flash code reader and worry about the next step when you outgrow it.

STAR TekInfo
Thank you for that explanation. My ASR/ABS lights are on but I havent worried about it yet. I pulled the ASR box forgetting I still had the key on when that started. It has nothing to do with how its running and both the ASR and ABS work. I actually was about to do just what you suggested. Start with a blinker, learn more, and keep an eye out for a nicer unit.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is a quote from K6TRF's web page. He has a 95 S500.

url - K6JRF Auto Page

"A few days ago while using my tech's AST Retreiver scanner at his shop, I checked "live data" from the LH-SFI (N4/1) module and found some questionable readings. The ON-OFF ratio (Lambda) was reading from 65 - 75% with the center around 70%. The MAF (Mass Air Flow) air mass was measured low, about 18 Kgm/h.* "

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS! Especially since I think my current problems may be in the MAF. What is the device he's talking about?
Is stuff like "18 Kgm/ hour" flow rate called "live data?" Anyone know? I want that!

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
I thought I would probably try this for less than $50 and do what denyel suggested and upgrade when I out grow it or need something more sophisticated. Or get MB to diagnose and fix it myself lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
All that thing has in it is an LED and a momentary switch. You can build your own.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
they are talking about better "pre 96" stuff in the other thread (code reader) now. I wish we could move the pre 96 stuff over here since about the first 10 pages of that thread is for obd2 stuff.
I was about to buy one of those blinker units myself but I'm afraid it may not help me much on my current problems. I would love to see technical readings on the MAF, ETA, computer units etc. It looks to me, in my limited knowledge, that blinker units lead to replacing the wrong part or replacing something unnecessarily by not giving clues as to why a unit is not working properly.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
It depends on the model. For your car and your problems you really do need that second level of codes on the EA/CC/ISC, pin 7, and you can't get it with a flash code reader.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It depends on the model. For your car and your problems you really do need that second level of codes on the EA/CC/ISC, pin 7, and you can't get it with a flash code reader.
By flash code reader you mean the things with the 3 wires and a blinking light?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
That's one form of it, some people use an even more basic style, two wires I guess it is. And some like the Baum tool are more sophisticated. The factory calls it a pulse counter. It's always the left hand column of codes at startekinfo.com factory site.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
Ok I received the code reader in post#9 off my lad for Christmas ( bless him) came with a list of codes for the r129
I haven't tried it yet, am frightened of what I might find LOL!

My query is, I have read some posts that said some problems got fixed by clearing the codes. I was under the impression they just read the codes to point you in the direction of fixing the problem. So what benefit is there in clearing the code before the problem as been fixed. If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,841 Posts
My query is, I have read some posts that said some problems got fixed by clearing the codes. I was under the impression they just read the codes to point you in the direction of fixing the problem. So what benefit is there in clearing the code before the problem as been fixed. If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it. :thumbsup:
Fault codes are stored, even though you may have fixed the fault.
With my '93 SL500, I routinely clear any stored codes with my home made code reader.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,121 Posts
Clearing the codes will NOT fix any problem. Except for the cases if all it needs is re-sync and clearing the 'hang up' code may re-initialize things.

Some codes will stay around in memory even after the problem is fixed but eventually may clear itself after a certain number of drive cycles.
Sometimes there are multiple codes generated (one triggering another etc) and old ones accumulated over time that could be confusing.

So the recommended procedure is to do the first scan, copy down the codes, clear them all, drive around and scan again. Then deal with those that comes back by looking into where the code points you to.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I received the code reader in post#9 off my lad for Christmas ( bless him) came with a list of codes for the r129
I haven't tried it yet, am frightened of what I might find LOL!

So what did it say?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts