Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500L, 1968 SWISS Mog
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

I've just received assist hydro setup from PCS.
Now I need to find a place to mount Pump.

Can anyone share how you mounted pump? I've looking around the web and only found a good pictures in below threads.
Another hydro assist build up thread - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
Full hydro 404.1 NM style - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Has anyone mounted above an alternator? To mount pump on left side, fuel pump needs to be relocated, which I want to avoid...

So far, up until now, my 404 is transforming into nice rock fun machine with flat bed and rollcage. I really need PS.

Thanks in advance.
Yasu

Attachments

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Hi, all.

I've just received assist hydro setup from PCS....
Can you please provide info on parts in the hydro kit. Part #'s would be great.

Sorry can't be of help on pump location

·
Registered
1956 Unimog 404 Rock Crawler
125 Posts
If you open the hood on my 404 the pump is located above the motor to the left. I will take a couple pictures and post them in about an hour. Good luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coachgeo,
Kit is at the shop now. I'll go there this Thursday and share the part numbers.
Tom at PSC said they've sold several sets and those are common setup for 404.

DansFLB,
Thanks for sharing. Is yours stock pump? Or custom work like mine?

Yasu

·
Registered
1956 Unimog 404 Rock Crawler
125 Posts
sorry got caught up with work around the house. I will get a pic tomorrow. My pump is from a chevy pickup, custom fit for my 404

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,996 Posts
This is a carbon copy of a post I made on Pirate many years ago. Hope it helps.

Full hydro 404.1 NM style

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, finally got it all together. Works great, and is tucked up very tight. The bonus is that unless you look under the hood, it looks stock. No funky crap in the cab.

Specs:

1 finger steering at idle
Saginaw pump from Jeep cherokee
Char Lynn Orbitol
Custom column
PSC 2"X8" ram with 3/4" heims
Aeroquip hoses
Water jet brackets
Lots of AN6 fittings

Oh, and the stock cast bracket for the steering stabilizer broke just trying to get the stabilizer off. Beware of trying to use that part.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DansFLB

Just to clarify, "To the left" means passenger side? There aren't any space on the driverside above the motor since that's where your feet are.
Anyway, I appreciate your time to take photos.

DokaTD,
Thanks for sharing photos.
Did you move manual fuel pump to somewhere?

Yasu

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,996 Posts
I run propane, so I dont have a fuel pump anymore. However, removing the fuel pump is not required to put the pump on the driver side. But if it makes you feel better to have the extra room, you can upgrade to an electric fuel pump. The elec fuel pump will help with potential vapor lock.

Since you are using the new PSC pump, you should have plenty of room anywhere you want.

·
72 Haflinger: 75 Pinzgauer 2.7i, 94 & 96 350GDT
1,659 Posts
I run propane, so I dont have a fuel pump anymore. However, removing the fuel pump is not required to put the pump on the driver side. But if it makes you feel better to have the extra room, you can upgrade to an electric fuel pump. The elec fuel pump will help with potential vapor lock.

Since you are using the new PSC pump, you should have plenty of room anywhere you want.
Can you post what carb and mixer your using - also where do you mount your tank(s)?
Thanks (guess this is a partial hijack of this thread so feel free to start a new one re: propane)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I can publish that info, however I am considering Reintroducing my kits if you might be interested. You can search my username as well as the words propane on this site and should pull up a fair amount of info.

·
Registered
404.0 Doka, 404.1 resto-mod
1,080 Posts
I have a stock PS pump and bracket for a sedan. I think it would bolt right up to the Mog motor, as they are essentially the same block. No idea on flow... Was in running condition when pulled apart.

BTW - If you put the pump on the driver side of the engine (stcok position for the sedan motors), you would block the use of front PTO. Probably not the biggest concern, but could be an issue...

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The factory sedan pump will require cutting the floor on the driver side if I remember right.

·
Registered
62' Unimog, stretched and caged.
29 Posts
I agree with DokaTD. I followed his ideas and mine works flawlessly. First I used a regular power steering pump from an older F250 I found at the wrecking yard (25$). I did a simple mod to up the performace of that.

Made a simple braket which attached to the driver side right above the fuel pump. However for like 20 bucks I moved the fuel pump the the frame rail via an electric pump. I kept the stock belt tensioner. Mounted the ram similar.

Man, with this there is no way I could ask for a better hydo system. 1 finger at idle, lock to lock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Heres a pic of the pump in its first location. I wasn't thinking right and attached it the the frame instead of the engine.:eek:.....didn't work...

On the right you can see the steering valve, (oribital). I just cut the original steering shaft and welded on a coupler that is splined the same as the steering valve shaft. Just slip the old shaft over the steering valve shaft and tighten her up. Pretty easy

Attachments

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Wow, looks alot llike my setup. Good job. Did you bend that tie rod yourself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya, I did bend that baby. The stock one tacoed in one trip with that ram. This one will last. It is 1 3/4" DOM .250 wall. :D

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Sadly I dont have my bender anymore and need to make one. Yours looks nice. You interested in bending one up for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts