Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.3
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
between 2500 through 3500 RPM, i feel like the car has much less power than below or above that range.

It's so bad, that if i have hit this range on a mountain, I have to slam the gas to hit that button and keep it depressed all the way to the top.

Below 2500, it feels ok but now i developed a habit with the car, that I either try to keep it at low RPM or push past that RPM range. It really sucks in this hilly area I'm living, I'm either racing the engine close to 5000rpm or drive like a virgin nun , trying to have the car stay below the bad rpm range.

What could be the reason? Someone told me, it might be the valves, others say the car has uneven cylinder compression. The car has 210,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.3
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Check your ignition cables, EZL, rotor and cap, spark plugs.
Thanks, they are all recent, less than a year old... the EZL..is original. The car also have a problem starting sometimes, but not all the time. It has new fuel pumps also..new fuel filter, new vacuum hoses, rebuilt transmission and new fuel pressure regulator, new temperature sensors. Runs suprisingly strong above the bad RPM range, I beat my Grand Prix GT with it, but it's cursed below 3500rpm.
I'm starting to think it's more of an internal problem, but ideas are welcome.

·
190E, SLK350
66,982 Posts
If your fuel components are new then you need to have them check for proper fuel pressure. Replacing these components without any adjustments is a recipe for problems.

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.3
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your fuel components are new then you need to have them check for proper fuel pressure. Replacing these components without any adjustments is a recipe for problems.
You know I just came back inside, too dark now, but without even checking your post, I just felt like checking out those fuel pumps, because i have been hearing a lot of whining coming from them lately.

Sure it is, one of them is seized or just burnt out. I tested them off the car with a battery.
The one that goes under it, works, so I figure it has to work extra hard to make some pressure to push it through the dead one.

So, it's funny..since i just bought these pumps like a year ago..and for the same reason, that one was out the last time too, but bought them in a bundle (2) so i replaced both..

Now i can't find the old one, that was still good, but I'm kinda hesitating to put that back on anyway.

So this is surely a problem, not sure if it will solve the main problem, but I'll fix this first.

By the way...

Anyone has any idea why the later models came with 2 fuel pumps?
Would it work with one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts