Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C350 Blk with Gray (sold), 2011 E550 Cab, 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera/Targa 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that at some point in the very near future I am going to have my C350 chipped. I have read and searched through quite a few posts on this topic, some recent and some old. Opinions vary a fair amount but those three companies seem to be reputable, have a decent product and adequate customer service which to me is very important.

The price range between the three is also competitive. The performance benefits are also close among the three with increases in HP around 20-30 and torque boosted by approx. 20-30 ft/lb as well.

Both Upsolute and Powerchip require you to remove and send your ECU to them for the day. Not a big deal but since the wife and I are down to two cars a little more planning is involved. Inmotion advertises a program where they send you the gear to do the reflash yourself, eliminating the need for ECU removal which sounds very appealing to me.

So, long story short, any last minute opinions,experiences, regrets, problems, suggestions, etc. are welcome and appreciated. BTW Powerchip is honoring a group buy right now taking place on another MB forum, the price has been reduced to $350.oo I believe.

·
Registered
2008 C350 Blk with Gray (sold), 2011 E550 Cab, 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera/Targa 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Check this out!Option # 1: Make a refundable deposit and we will ship you our loaner OBD Flash tool that you use

with your laptop to flash your car in just minutes with no ECU removal for most European models from 2000-

Option # 2: For a *limited number of USA models you can now purchase you own hand held programmer that you use

to load your original ECU file onto. (Please note this is a different unit then Option # 1) You then use the supplied

software to upload and email us your original. We then modify your original and send it back for download into the

unit. Or you can choose the "NO PC" method, just mail us back the unit and let us do all the work! You can store up to

3 separate files in the hand held unit. Which allows you to flash your car WITHOUT USING A LAPTOP OR PC any time

you want. Flash back to stock for dealer service etc. Also functions as a scan tool on most models!

BUY YOUR RAPID FLASH TODAY!

The Hand Held unit currently works on these models...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure option 1 will not work on 204s. I've yet to hear of any tuners able to modify ECU on a 204 through OBDII port and if the big boys at Kleemann and Renntech can't do it, hard for me to believe this lesser company can.
I am going to call tomorrow to get confirmation. I am also going to call both companies you mentioned for comparisons. When looking at the Kleemann numbers it appears that their HP figures are about the same but their torque increase is only around 2 ft/lb. Maybe I misread it but I am still shopping regardless!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm pretty sure option 1 will not work on 204s. I've yet to hear of any tuners able to modify ECU on a 204 through OBDII port and if the big boys at Kleemann and Renntech can't do it, hard for me to believe this lesser company can.
It is pretty sad that there are no MB who reflash the ECU via the OBD II port. Then again, maybe it's not possible with the W204.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is pretty sad that there are no MB who reflash the ECU via the OBD II port. Then again, maybe it's not possible with the W204.
It is sad. I thought I had made my decision for the most part but after more research and some info from ASTRIKER and his recent experience at MB of Buckhead Atl, I may be changing my mind as to who gets the business. MB of Buckhead apparently was a former dealer for both Renntech and Kleemann products. From what they tell me, about four years ago they decided to create their own product which is equal in quality and based on the same product design/concept as those other two companies. The one thing that is a bit more appealing is that the tune and many other performance enhancemenats are done right at an MB DEALERSHIP. They say they are the only authorized dealership that performs such tunes and services in house for whatever thats worth. All i know is coming from the Audi with a 420 HP V8, I want some more power! Maybe i should have bought the C63, but I like the fuel economy of the 6 and the fact I wont go through rear tires every 12-14k miles!

·
Registered
27 Posts
All i know is coming from the Audi with a 420 HP V8, I want some more power! Maybe i should have bought the C63, but I like the fuel economy of the 6 and the fact I wont go through rear tires every 12-14k miles!
I know exactly how you feel. That's the only reason why I traded in a 09 C350 for a 10 C63. lol Lack of power can be extremely annoying, especially if you're used to the power. :p

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious, I'm in training for my commercial license, and saw your 767, so I assume you fly the 767s perhaps..either way that's kind of cool ahaha.
You assumed correctly sir! I fly the 767-400 series but have spent many hours in other types of the 767 as well as many other Boeing, MD,Cessna,Mooney, Piper, Beech products etc. Have fun with the training and if you ever have any questions about flying or aviation related stuff feel free to PM or email me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know exactly how you feel. That's the only reason why I traded in a 09 C350 for a 10 C63. lol Lack of power can be extremely annoying, especially if you're used to the power. :p
What are your thoughts/impressions of the C63?Are you gobbling up gas and rear tires? It may be a car I look into sometime down the road and would like an enthusiast opinion.Thanks. l

·
Registered
27 Posts
What are your thoughts/impressions of the C63?Are you gobbling up gas and rear tires? It may be a car I look into sometime down the road and would like an enthusiast opinion.Thanks. l
If you are concerned about the gas and rear tires, the C63 isn't for you. If you love the speed, the power and the specialness of owning one of the last NA big displacement engine. I would highly recommend jumping on one now. I get decent mileage when I'm driving. You'll feel better knowing that you're getting about SUV gas mileage. Rear tires isn't too bad as long as you're not visiting the drag strip often. I'm thinking anywhere between 7-10k miles for the rears, while the fronts will last a bit longer. I'll probably get another 350 engine when it gets DI and at least 300hp in an E class later on down the line. I hope that helps you out. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are concerned about the gas and rear tires, the C63 isn't for you. If you love the speed, the power and the specialness of owning one of the last NA big displacement engine. I would highly recommend jumping on one now. I get decent mileage when I'm driving. You'll feel better knowing that you're getting about SUV gas mileage. Rear tires isn't too bad as long as you're not visiting the drag strip often. I'm thinking anywhere between 7-10k miles for the rears, while the fronts will last a bit longer. I'll probably get another 350 engine when it gets DI and at least 300hp in an E class later on down the line. I hope that helps you out. :)
Yes, I have to agree that right now the C63 is probably not for me. Cost of ownership was the only reason I got out of the RS 4. Another awesome NA V8! $400/month in gas, $700 payment, $1600 for front pads and rotors etc. etc. Not to mention the carbon build up issue that was a potential problem down the road requiring a costly cleaning! Im definitely in more of a cost saving mode at the moment but boy do i miss the power and the sound of that V8, awesome! I figure for a good quality tune and maybe a nice exhaust system like AZN300 has installed will set me back a few grand initially but satisfy my cravings for a bit. I think I should be able to get this engine safely to 300 hp and 290 or so ft/lbs. with some relatively simple mods, still get 25MPG on the hwy and rear tires every 14-20k. Then we'll see whats out there a year or two from now!Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can be happy to tell you that the cost of ownership of the C63 is actually less than the RS4. The brakes are awesome, no need to really upgrade them. Can't really do anything about the fuel costs. Since the C63 engine is really a detuned engine of it's bigger brothers, you can easily upgrade the power for around $650-$1000. That would net you a upgrade in power in the range of 50-80 rwhp. That's not too shabby. The exhaust is pretty loud as it comes from the factory, so upgrading the exhaust immediately like the RS4 is not a necessity. The RS4 engine was built from the factory to make that much power, the C63 was detuned to allow it's breathrens to not be overshadowed by the little C. lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
BTW...a properly broken in C63 can actually get you in the low 20's in highway gas mileage.
All very intersting info, I appreciate it. You have provided me some good insight about the car and ownership experience. It seems to be a very impressive machine! Its hard to believe how much power can be made from that motor, insane! I already found myself browsing Ebay listings a bit just for fun. Now, if they only made it in a 6 speed!!!Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
101 Posts
DI for the C350

Well all of you (us) power hungry C or E fans can now await MB Santa to arrive the end of summer 2011. The C class will offer the C350 sport with the new direct injection engine and the upgraded 7 speed auto shifter.

I had planned to go to my local MB dealer today and order a C350s just the way I wanted it. Then I read the MB 2012 C class press release. So its sticking with my B'mer for a while longer.

I have owned MBs continuously since 75. I tried a Bmer when I found it near impossible to fine a new C class with a manual. Back to Mercedes for me. I'll put up with the reworked auto. My ML has the 7 speed auto and I find that livable if not a bit unexciting. The extra HP and sport configuration of the 2010 C 350 was fine when I took one for a 1 day test drive.

I owned a 2000 SL and the auto didn't bother me at all. The damm thing drove as if it was on tracks! Only had it over 100 twice in two years. Way out in the Arizona desert on IS 10 where you can see about five miles down the road and on the way through Montana when I hadn't seen another car in 25 minutes and could see as far as visibility would allow. The 10 C350 had a good amount of power for me, so I guess I am not one who actually USES that much power.

Anyone interested in a 2011 328i ? :surrender:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts