Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I searched the forum for this and did not find anything specific. SO, I decided to start a new thread.

1. Has anyone actually installed the Powerchip in the US? Dallas, TX??
2. Any issues??
3. Any issues with MB dealership and warranty?
4. Howz the power increase?
5. What on earth is meant by "u can change the pulley and get more horsepower??" what pulley is being mentioned here...?

whenever someone asks in the forum " Has anyone installd the powerchip", some one else gives a roundabout answer: " Change the pulley" I am confused! help!

I have a 2003 SLK320

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
It has been widely accepted that a 'powerchip' won't do much for a Mercedes, especially the supercharged 230 which seems to be the most popular choice when being pumped up with extra power.

However, your car is a 3.2 liter non supercharged one, thus the first thing you need to realise is that a pulley upgrade will not apply to you (the pulley is a piece that will cause your supercharger to spin faster and feed more air into the engine if you get a more performant pulley).

For a standard 3.2 liter, a powerchip could possibly add some hp, but it won't be as much as they usually tout. i.e. 30hp gains are rare...

Adding an SC onto your 320 will get you the biggest boost, but the money needed to do this would be better spent selling your current car, getting a 32 AMG, and you'd have a warranty.

Every other upgrade on the 320 will only net you a few HP's here and there (for a considerable amount of money). We're talking about changing the exhaust pipes, adding an intercooler, etc... in the end, for 10-20 extra HP's, you'll have paid $5000 or more. But there's other members on this forum who can provide you with better advice since they might have tried the powerchip on a 320. If you can get it for cheap, it won't hurt to try, but you need to make sure that MB doesn't write over your powerchip info if you go over to have your car services. This seems to happen occasionally...

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I was talking with the Boutique Manager (RENNtech, Powerchip, ect.) at Atlanta Classic Cars. He told me that they have tested both Powerchip & RENNtech on the dyno and they produced the same gains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts