Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1991 500SL
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 84 380sl, the passenger side switch is broke, went to a mercedes dismantler in the area, he had ones that fit, although they only lowered the window, didnt go back up, i know window works, i hooked up my working switch to it, up and down, so now, i need to find a new switch that works, ebay has thousands, but howdo i know which one(s) is applicable, all the adds state alot of years and models, is this true? also, which repair manual is the best? thanks

· Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
Did you look on the switch for a P/N? If not there, you can try to find it at the MB Russia Club website. Look up your car on the main page and sort through the various systems to see if it's there. Êàòàëîã çàï÷àñòåé MB. Âûáîð ìîäåëè.

On Manuals, paper if you can find them are the best and most expensive. MBUSA has the 107 Classic CD that covers our cars for $20. www.mbusa.com

Bob

· Registered
1,920 Posts
MB USA CD service library

david7212 said:
i have an 84 380sl, the passenger side switch is broke, went to a mercedes dismantler in the area, he had ones that fit, although they only lowered the window, didnt go back up, i know window works, i hooked up my working switch to it, up and down, so now, i need to find a new switch that works, ebay has thousands, but howdo i know which one(s) is applicable, all the adds state alot of years and models, is this true? also, which repair manual is the best? thanks
It's certainly not the best, but for $25.00-$30.00, the MB CD ain't bad. I don't have the link handy but search for MB Classic Center and they should be able to help you out.
Good luck:)

· Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,570 Posts
I had a similar problem with my SL window switch.

Pop them apart and clean the contacts with contact cleaner and cotton buds.

It has worked perfectly ever since.:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Old hard plastic

david7212 said:
I Did Pot The Swithc Apart...it Has Broken Internal Components, Thanks
The 1st time I drove the SL, when I picked it up,
:( I worked the window switches up and down... :(
5th/6th time I worked it, the left switch came apart under pressure.
The right switch blew an aluminium wrapped fuse.
After driving home, 160 miles, sans window adjustment, the first part I bought was said window switch, oh, and copper fuses. The only thing that holds the switch on our earlier models is the
"Chromed Plastic Rectangle".
The old hard plastic is brittle. Care cain't fix it. (see ScottinSoCal's: 12 easy steps to window switch replacement)

The switch for your model should be pretty straight forward. 1984 380SL, chassis #WDB10704.........
Lighted or unlighted?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.