Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been going on for a few years and it is starting bug me. When I roll up the driver side window it will stop but not in the full position because if I wait alittle while and press the switch again it will go up just a tad more or I can press the switch and when it gets almost to the top I can pull the top of the window and it will go up all the way. I was going to findou t and try to fix it while my door panel is off. So does anyone know what my problem might be?

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
126 chassis cars have a plastic slide on the window regulator that will crack or break after a while causing all kinds of problems, even completely inoperative windows. I am not usre if 123 chassis cars have the same set up, but worth looking into. This slide is available separately as a replacement part, but is a real PITA to put on. I did replace one on my '83 300SD. You need to remove the window regulator, then grind of the old slide pin. Then the new slide pin is peened on - i.e. you must use an anvil or hard surface and strike the pin just right with several hard and precise hammer blows. Except, if you miss, you will destroy the plastic part of the slide.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it the white plastic thing in the left bottom coner of this picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Looks like the part I was talking about. The one on the 126 chassis cars is a bit different, but the function is the same.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What else could it be? Regulator, motor?

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Well, it's hard to tell without looking at it. Take off the door panel and plastic covering and inspect the regulator track. Clean it and grease it and see it things get better. Inspect all parts for anything broken, distorted, rusty, or binding. Watch the parts as they move while you operate the window. I suspect a problem in the window regulator is the culprit here.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
One thing. When I replaced the two front regulators on the old TD we had, the mounting points on the door frame were a bit loose. I'm guessing if this got any more loose, this would prevent the gears from biting.

But it could also be a bushing issue. These bushings are on a track and maybe when it reaches the end, it gains friction and doesn't want to slide anymore, so you need to help it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts