Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
71 300SEL, 16 BMW Z4, 58 MGA, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compatriots,

All my power windows are dead, leaving me to believe a blown fust.

Prior to troubleshooting and pulling out a multimeter, can you tell me where the fuse is located, and its rating?

· Registered
1991 560SEL, 1987 300SDL, 1972 280SE 4.5, 1974 MGB
16 Posts
On my 72 there are two fuses for the power windows one for passenger front and driver back and vice versa. They're located in small fuse boxes in the engine compartment on the passenger side firewall. Don't remember the amps but they might be 15.

· Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,443 Posts
One thing to look for is corrosion on the ends of the fuses themselves. The stock fuses are ceramic or plastic bodies with aluminum ends/conductors. The holders are brass. Add a little moisture, some time, and mix in a bit of electricity, and you have the ideal conditions for dissimilar metals corrosion. This shows as a buildup of white powdery discoloration on the aluminum parts. This is non-conductive, opening off the circuit.

Go to the auto parts store and get some contact grease, this usually comes as a small packet for about $1.95 to $2.95, and will seve you for quite a while. Remove each fuse one at a time, and buff the ends clean with a coarse NON-ABRASIVE cloth, such as denim or canvas. Also clean the surface of the holder, too. Then spread a thin film of the grease on the ends of the fuse and replace.

Scott

· Registered
71 300SEL, 16 BMW Z4, 58 MGA, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The local Autozone sold me an assortment of fuses, but none of the ones in the fuse block, driver side interior, were blown. The label inside the block didn't list one for the power windows either ... I didn't get a chance to research with my literature either. more as I get it I guess.

· Registered
1981 300TD 360k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
647 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, there is also a relay under the power window fuse block for the windows. My windows quit last week--the fuses were OK. Then the next time I started the car the windows worked. I suspect the relay. Could also be the ignition switch, I suppose. I haven't been able to trace the circuit for faults now that the windows are working again.

My wiring diagram was no help as it doesn't illustrate the power window circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.