Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
C55 AMG
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help with info. on power upgrades to my C55 AMG. I have considered supercharging, but this is big money. Has anyone hade success with chipping normally aspirated engines?

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
If you are one of the few C55 owners over here, then I cannot believe supercharging is b...

If you are one of the few C55 owners over here, then I cannot believe supercharging is big money to you!!
The power/weight ratio you have, forget a chip, you will hardly notice the increase.
Supercharge.

·
Registered
C55 AMG
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C55

Supercharging does sound the best option but the first figure mentioned to me was £15k + vat, so at about £18k all in i would still be interested in other options. £18k would by me a very good track day car of my own to abuse rather than paying to have one bought to days i attend. Also, i would be interested to here if any other owners of C36,43,or 55s have experienced very poor tyre ware on the fronts,my last set lasted 3000 miles!! half as long as the rears.My car runs on 18s 245/40s on the front & 255/35 on the back. Any info would help.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
mmm. £18k sounds very steep. The V6 model is about £7k - or was. I cannot see there is £11...

mmm. £18k sounds very steep. The V6 model is about £7k - or was. I cannot see there is £11k difference though - who did you get the quote from?
Is it brute HP power you are looking for or better perfprmance at the lower end?
I have never driven the C55 (you must have about the only one over here) but was familiar with the E55.
The power weight rtatio of the C must be better than the E.
Mercedes have built in so much power into these cars, that I am sure they had to throttle it back by an artificially low ratio on the final drive, to maintain a sedate air. I am sure that a higher ratio, need not be much, would give you Porsche plus performance as well as top speed. The only down side I can see is that the mph per 1000rpm may fall a few mph.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has done this.
By the way, what is the final drive ratio of the C55?

·
Registered
C55 AMG
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C55

The quote i had was from a company in Uxbride & was based on a C43 plus the cost of a specialy made radiator to inprove cooling.The performance enhancment i am after is across the whole range,after owning any car for a while we all crave a little more,dont we? On your question on final drive ratios, i dont know is the answer for now but i have asked the dealer that sold me the car (who are AMG) to try and get a spec. sheet from Germany & wiil let you know.The quoted figures in my manual are 347 bhp & 510Nm of torque.Finally if you know of any other supercharging companies with a good track record i would appreciate the info. Kev.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
The C55 must be detuned somewhere - I thought the 55 engines were around 370hp.
Cannot co...

The C55 must be detuned somewhere - I thought the 55 engines were around 370hp.
Cannot comment on a new radiator required as I do not know the car. Suggest you try Kleeman, 01435 872872 ask for Steen.
The reason I latched onto the final drive is that I have a Porsche 996 which is 300hp and 1400kg - a little less power weight ratio than the C55, yet to all intents and purposes a little nippier. Notwithstanding the closer ratio box and aerodynamics of the Porsche, the C55 should attain the same and can only have been throttled back by Merceeds fitting a low final drive. From a manufacturers point of view maybe correctly done as the poorer road handling in the wrong hands could lead to trouble and big claims, but for someone who is aware of the pitfalls and is sensible, there must be an easy way to unleash the horses to where it counts - the wheels.
How many mph are you doing per 1000rpm in top?
Re your tyres - ok, if you stuff the car full blast into corners, they will wear quickly, but 3k miles is a pretty short life. I wonder if it is the toe-in out of adjustment. I would not be surprised if the C55 has a different setting than normal, and lacking information, a mechanic has applied the normal C class setting?? Only an idea, not sure...
Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
C55 AMG
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C55, supercharge ?

I spoke to Kleeman as you advised & they quoted £13,800 + vat plus possible radiator, as they have never seen a C55 they were unsure of the need due to space & cooling, but said the power would be 560 bhp & 718Nm of torque!!!! now that would be fun.On your comment on my current 347 bhp, i spoke to a ex. merc technitian, now porsche, who told me the figures were very understated & agreed they should be closer to 375 bhp. I am still waiting for final drive ratios & am planing on driving the car on Thursday (to Brands Hatch) so i will look at my mph to rpm then & let you know.Having looked through the forum you seem very well informed, do you or have you worked for Mercedes ?.On a final note, great choice of car the 996, we looked at one, but have a couple of kids & our second car is a Cooper s so needed something with at least a bit of space! Will let you know more when i have it. Kev.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I am surprised at these V8 kompressor charges - I cannot see too much of a difference betw...

I am surprised at these V8 kompressor charges - I cannot see too much of a difference between the V6. So you are back into big bucks. Sorry.
Interesting Steen never heard of C55 - MB is his job! Have to admit though, I only know of one that came into the UK thru Bradshaw Webb, maybe it is yours.
So you are back into big bucks. OK, a chip is inexpensive and may give you 20 or so HP (guessing). You could try Van Aaken Developements on 01344 777 553. They made a good chip for me.
I still hanker after the final drive (with a chip) but cannot find any data on what you have.
The C43, 36 and 280 have 1:3.07, the 230K has 1:3.27 and the 240 has 1:3.67. I think the lowest ratio MB make is 3.07, but doing some simple calculations, the C55 fitted with this should be quicker than it is, so ask myself if MB played around with the gearbox ratios as well - but cannot get any info either!
What I suspect is that you must have a 3.07 (if you do, you will be doing approx 85mph at 3000rpm on a flat road with no pull (??)- or MB have made a lower one specially.
Now, if you went the full spectrum and fitted a 3.67 diff, then I estimate 0-60 you would eat up a Porsche, and chase the super bikes, but cruising at 3000rpm only be doing 78mph (rough calculation - someone correct me if I am wrong) plus, in the mid range with all your HP, accelaration will be blinding..
All I can say is I wish I had your car, it would give me months of playtime!
No I dont work for MB, its just a mis spent youth and a propensity to memorize all the useless stuff about cars! Thanks re the Porsche, it is good, but reality is that my wife wants to trade it against an X5 - ugh[:(!][/:(!]. Have never driven the S. I look forward to one as I grew up with the cooper S in its hayday.
I am still interested in your mph/rpm in top - and all the other gears if you care to maesure them...

·
Registered
C55 AMG
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C55

Just a quick note as i have to rush out, at 100mph the car was reading at 3200 rpm on a flat surface, iwill measure the rest tomorrow. The cooper s is a great little car and i was told on wednesday that a 220 bhp conversion is on its way do you think i should ask my wife to put it on my christmas list?. It would be certanly cheaper than doing mine. My car came in through a park lane mb dealer & i only know of one other owned by a Lord someone or other!!

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I have to admit I am very curious here. 100 at 3200rpm is 31mph per 1krpm - very high inde...

I have to admit I am very curious here. 100 at 3200rpm is 31mph per 1krpm - very high indeed, and a diff ratio of about 2.8. I did not know MB made anything that low, as such a ratio is bordering on racing car spec.
It is difficult to measure on an automatic due to slip, but if you are not grossly misjudging it, then I am vindicated in my belief that MB have purposefully held back on the performance of the C55.
Forget going to 3.6, you will be spinning all over the place. I'd say with a 3.07 diff from a C43, you will get a very good performance, except that you will be doing only 84mph at 3000rpm instead of 91.
Due to the lack of other comments, I can only guess that few people have sought to get more out of a C55. Certainly this is all getting outside my league, and wonder if you might be better running my suggestion past someone at AMG? When I was upgrading, a Mr Geistlinger was helpful, and am sure he would have more time for you than me telling him that I could get better performance from a 280 than his C43!
I heard a while back that someone at McLaren in Woking has made a powerhouse E55 - you could check that out... I have no more suggestions!

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
The W208 CLK55 uses a 2.82 ratio rear end. It is likely the C55 uses much the same runnin...

The W208 CLK55 uses a 2.82 ratio rear end. It is likely the C55 uses much the same running gear.

Although going to a 3.07 rear end will help with acceleration, it may be more detrimental in that wheelspin will be much more of a problem. My CLK55 has trouble keeping the wheels firmly planted with the 2.82 rear end and 275 width tires. I am going to do some experimentation with non-street tires or at least shaved street tires, with the hopes that the result will be getting more power to the pavement.

-s-

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Thats good - thanks for dropping in, I was getting quite lost but glad that my calculation...

Thats good - thanks for dropping in, I was getting quite lost but glad that my calculations panned out. I have never driven a 55, 202 or 208.
Now, if you have trouble keeping traction, it solves my question of why they went down to a 2.8 ratio, but poses another question on why MB ever released the car if the performance was only going to be a margin on the 43? OK, they might say for quiet and easy cruising, but the 3,07 diff gives a pretty good cruise.
MB must not think it a mistake, as they continue to sell the CLK55 (in the UK anyway.
How well does the traction control cope with the wheel spin??
Either way - I envy the both of you!

·
Registered
C32, '02 M Roadster
240 Posts
Mercedes Built The C55...

as a top end screamer. It was not meant to be much quicker to 60mph but improved considerably in all other areas. For example, 30-70 passing times and any foot to the floor run over 100mph will press you back in the seat. Not to mention that with the limiters removed, the C55 is still pulling hard to redline while the C43 has already run out of steam. This is why they built the C55...it is all about smiles per mile!

I used to own a C36 and as a daily driver I have been toying around with dropping an E55 motor and a manual tranny into a C43. There are much faster AMG cars but nothing with 4 doors that can equal the fun of a C55 in the right hands!
[:D]

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
If you are into dropping motors into cars try what Brabus did - a V12 75 into your SLK...m...

If you are into dropping motors into cars try what Brabus did - a V12 75 into your SLK...might give you a bit of an edge at the top end...!

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
I have the perfrect colution...

spend the money you were going to spend on superchargin...

I have the perfrect colution...

spend the money you were going to spend on supercharging th C55 on an A170 CDI. Drive that all week long, then drive the C55 on the weekends.

This is what I do. We drive the ML320 all week, which is not very fast, but faster than an A170 CDI (which I would love to have), then I drive the GTI on the weekends. Must faster.

'02 ML320 0-100 kph in 9.9 or something like that

'95 GTI VR6 0-100 kph in 6.3 or less

Perfect solution to your problem. Or give me the C55 for a while and I will tel lyou if it needs a supercharger[:D]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts