Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a sunroof service kit from mercedessource.com and I must say that there is a lot more to doing this right than I originally thought! First, you must use special grease for the tracks. Second, many problems are caused by dried grease and dirt accumulating in the cable tube, which needs to be cleaned out in such a case. The kit includes a cleaning wire and brush (sort of a miniature chimney sweep brush). Then there is sunroof motor, relay, switch, and motor transmission assembly with a clutch. Well engineered, but apparently requiring proper attention after all these years.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
dude, let me know how that goes. one of my diesels sunroof is inop and i am going to have to go down that same road, only mine is stuck. any advice on how to remove headliner would be appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
mountainredneck said:
dude, let me know how that goes. one of my diesels sunroof is inop and i am going to have to go down that same road, only mine is stuck. any advice on how to remove headliner would be appreciated.
Dude, just buy the darn kit!

About removing the sunroof liner, you'll have to get the sunroof open about 6" ... to do so will require manually turning motor (it's driver's side, in the trunk) while having a friend push open the roof. When open, pull headliner down abruptly and forcefully, while taking care to not get metal strip out of shape.

Good luck,
Carl

·
Registered
65 Posts
p100 said:
I just bought a sunroof service kit from mercedessource.com and I must say that there is a lot more to doing this right than I originally thought! First, you must use special grease for the tracks. Second, many problems are caused by dried grease and dirt accumulating in the cable tube, which needs to be cleaned out in such a case. The kit includes a cleaning wire and brush (sort of a miniature chimney sweep brush). Then there is sunroof motor, relay, switch, and motor transmission assembly with a clutch. Well engineered, but apparently requiring proper attention after all these years.
Well worth it ... I bought one a few months ago, followed along word for word and "wala", sunroof works beautifully ... good luck,
Carl

·
Registered
625 Posts
Psychohawk,
What was wrong with your sunroof? My motor makes a grinding noise when I press the open or close button...I think a gear is broken or worn...What was the problem with yours? Glad to hear it fixed your problem!

·
Registered
65 Posts
panamacolin said:
Psychohawk,
What was wrong with your sunroof? My motor makes a grinding noise when I press the open or close button...I think a gear is broken or worn...What was the problem with yours? Glad to hear it fixed your problem!
After disassembly, the problem was found to be a missing felt pad, though I overhauled the sunroof entirely.

Regarding grinding noise, maybe the cable slipping on the motor (worn cable?) or a problem with your clutch mechanism. Both are guesses, I wish you luck.

Carl

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No, but you need to know what you are doing. The motor and transmission are removed from the trunk as an assembly. Note how they are bolted together before you take them apart.

The cable is attached to the front center edge of sunroof with two 8 mm screws, which hold the bracket to the panel. there is also a C clip you need to remove to release the cable. The you remove a black metal cross bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts