Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have real world experience with a set of these? Part number for the kit is EBR625XPR.
I've had similar setup on my Corrado, but never for the E320. I'm concerned a bit with longevity and the prevention of warping. I know the OEM ones are probably the best bet. Trying to get some opinions.
Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I get it. I should state what I'm trying to avoid is another round of warped rotors which are on the vehicle now. Although I should clarify that I did not install the last set, nor have I gotten eyes on them so I will start with that and confirm MFG/source.
Another similar question should be, has anyone experienced warped disc/rotor on OEM units?

· Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
8,717 Posts
Warped disc is from riding brakes, so if you or PO ride brakes for long time, it will warp.

OE brand is better. Zimmerman is OE if I'm not mistaken.

· Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430, 2011 E350
5,422 Posts
Does anyone have real world experience with a set of these? Part number for the kit is EBR625XPR.
I've had similar setup on my Corrado, but never for the E320. I'm concerned a bit with longevity and the prevention of warping. I know the OEM ones are probably the best bet. Trying to get some opinions.
Thanks!
I think for every day public roads drilled rotors are more for show than for go. My dad had a 2011 E350 sport

Sport came with drilled rotors well the other one just has regular rotors

and I know some years ago with the Ferrari F430 they ( Ferrari) had a special competition for that model and to get the approved parts to make a truck ready car you went from the standard drilled rotors to solid rotors

for the track

that tells you something

· Registered
2001 E55, 2001 E320 Wagon 4-matic, 2001 E320, 2002 E320, 1995 E300, 1998 E300, 1992 500E
110 Posts
...and I know some years ago with the Ferrari F430 they ( Ferrari) had a special competition for that model and to get the approved parts to make a truck ready car you went from the standard drilled rotors to solid rotors
More directed at the original poster, but your response is pertinent:

Why do 'cut' rotors tend to warp more easily than full thickness rotors? Due to the reduction in mass. Less mass = less thermal absorption capacity. What do holes and slots do to a rotor? They reduce mass.

Yes, holes and slots create more surface area for heat to dissipate to the air, but the reduction in mass still has an impact on the overall performance characteristics. When improperly implemented, holes & slots can also act as stress risers leading to cracking failures. Like any tool, purchase the correct one for it's intended duty. How much severe heat loading and heat rejection recovery time do you anticipate for your specific use?

On another note, I hate the term 'warped' rotors, when the majority of times the problem is uneven surface hardness due to spot heating... but that's too nit-picky.

Oh - please add one more vote for Zimmerman rotors. Good stuff!

· Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,921 Posts
Main purpose of holes is heat dissipation due to more air flow. Loss of rotor weight is negligent.
Bonus question - How many noticed MB wheels have cooling holes between the bolts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.