Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 98 E320 has is leaking power steering fluid and i can't seem to figure out where is coming from. My steering has gotten a lot harder lately. Any one have any idea what it maybe. Thank in advances.

·
Registered
99 SL500
80 Posts
steering

Check the boots or whatever they're called for fluid. If they're full of fluid, you may have to replace the steering rack. That's what happened to my 98'.

Consult the stickys, there is a lot of info on the issue there, from people much smarter than I'll ever be!:bowdown:

·
Registered
06 CLS500, Boeing-737, 04 Tahoe LT, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan
257 Posts
I had a 97 E420 that was leaking from the seal right behind the pulley. It would fling fluid over to the inner fender well behind the left headlight. I thought it was the a/c unit leaking. A good fellow here suggested I remove the pump, replace the shaft seal behind the pulley then reinstall. The parts are in a kit available at your nearset MB parts shop. There are a few gaskets, which I suggest you replace, and the shaft seal in the kit. Once I got the pump off, not very hard just make sure you catch the fluid out of the tank just above in a large wax cup, the pulley comes off rather easy. (If I remember there is a fluid line that goes between the holding tank and the pump itself. Thats where you catch the fluid in the cup.) The seal can then be carefully pried out with a small screw driver but dont scrape/scratch the shaft. Mine had hardened and fell apart once I got it out. Carefully lay the new seal in the pump, tap in with a small socket about the same size as the seal then put it all back together. Refill the holding tank, using new MB fluid, and your good to go. :thumbsup:

If I can do it you can too.

Jeff

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Take a flashlight, pop up the engine cover, and take a hard look. Make sure the power steering reservoir is topped off with MB power steering oil, use a funnel to fill without major spillage.

Check the power steering hoses and hose ends first. If these are leaking now, that can lead to dramatic failure on the road.

Second, often the source of a "seeping leak" can be the power steeering reservoir, and/or a leaking o-ring where the reservoir clips into the engine block. If leaking there it is a easy DIY.

Third, check the rack. However fluid leaking from 1 or 2 can end up on the rack sometimes causing a visual mis-diagnosis. Rack work generally, not always, leads to rack and reservoir replacement.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
Black on Black 1997 E420
267 Posts
Take a flashlight, pop up the engine cover, and take a hard look. Make sure the power steering reservoir is topped off with MB power steering oil, use a funnel to fill without major spillage.

Check the power steering hoses and hose ends first. If these are leaking now, that can lead to dramatic failure on the road.

Second, often the source of a "seeping leak" can be the power steeering reservoir, and/or a leaking o-ring where the reservoir clips into the engine block. If leaking there it is a easy DIY.

Third, check the rack. However fluid leaking from 1 or 2 can end up on the rack sometimes causing a visual mis-diagnosis. Rack work generally, not always, leads to rack and reservoir replacement.

Keep the faith !
I'm experiencing something similar to what you described. My boot is torn and it is leaking fluid. Does the entire steering rack need to be replaced or a seal? Is there a DIY(with photos) on repairing the seal/or steering rack? Thnx

Attachments

·
Registered
Black on Black 1997 E420
267 Posts
Power steering O-ring location?

Is there any way you or someone could point out where this o-ring is located? I've attached the link of G-AMG's power steering DIY. Post #4 displays the entire pump assembly. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1481425-photo-diy-steering-pump-overhaul.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts