Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pump has developed an occasional squeal. It doesn't happen when turning the wheel...but more at idle. I believe a bearing is going bad.

Is there a kit to work from to rebuild it, or should I suck it up and pay the $250 or so and buy one already rebuilt? Rebuilding isn't beyond my scope. If they make a kit with all the needed bits, where could I find it?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
My pump has developed an occasional squeal. It doesn't happen when turning the wheel...but more at idle. I believe a bearing is going bad.

Is there a kit to work from to rebuild it, or should I suck it up and pay the $250 or so and buy one already rebuilt? Rebuilding isn't beyond my scope. If they make a kit with all the needed bits, where could I find it?
Have you tried changing the PS fluid and filter? If so, did you inspect the filter to ensure any pieces did not break off and get stuck in your fluid loop? The rebuild kits I've seen are composed of seals to fix leaks. I am not aware of any bearings in the pump. There are many suppliers of the rebuild kit if you google it. Here is a link to a thread on the W126 forum for a ZF pump DYI rebuild. I'm guessing you have the exact same pump but you will need to check the label on your pump to confirm.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1990089-power-steering-pump-seal-replacement-all.html

·
Premium Member
5,009 Posts
Be aware that the threads on the fluid lines to the pump are not normal square threads. I forget what they are called but you can buy blanks to stop fluid going everywhere. I got SWMBO pissed off with me when I used a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the pump.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
If you have access to a salvage yard you may find one there. The 560SL uses the same water pump as the 560SEL/SEC series. Two items you pretty much always see on an 80's MB...water pump and cruise control actuator. No demand for them which usually means they rarely fail. Should you find one the odds will be in your favor that it will work.

By the way RockAuto highest priced water pump is $117 for an AC Delco...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercedes-benz,1987,560sl,5.6l+v8,1195310,steering,power+steering+pump,7380

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Bauk18
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing