Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a leak in my power steering. I have a couple of questions for anyone who is knowledgable 1) What is the correct fluid to use 2) Is refill accomplished by removing the wingnut from the top of the pump or is there some other place where fludi is added? I need to add some fluid to find the leak.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500SL
107 Posts
Kirk, you're kidding right?? But just in case not, I use transmission fluid in my ps and yes, remove the wing nut and fill to the line. I still think you are kidding!
Mike

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm not. The pump is really hard to get at and I don't want to spin that wing nut off and have a bunch of springs pop out or something, and it almost looks like they would have the fluid fill tapped in somewhere easier to get at. Also, in all the years I have owned Mercedes, I have never once had to add power steering fluid. What type of tranny fluid should I use?

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500SL
107 Posts
I use Dextron III. Believe it or not, this was recommended for the eariler 107s like ours. If your pump is like mine or similar, nothing bad will happen when you remove the wing nut. There is a spring involved but it should not jump out or anything. To make sure, hold down the cover as you remove the nut. Add fluid and go.
Mike [:)]

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I may be bothering you somemore once I figure out where the leak is.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,188 Posts
MB power steering fluid p/n 000 989 88 03
filter p/n 000 466 21 04
Clean the area around the pump lid well as you do not want any crap falling in. Butter fly nut off, lid off and you will see a spring held on the threaded shaft by a retaining ring. This little assembly holds down the filter which is at the bottom of the pump.
Use a turkey baster to remove oil if you decide to work on the pump or flush it. However, it sounds like it is self flushing at the moment!
Knobby

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the detailed answer!

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500SL
107 Posts
Well, that remains to be seen as I am trying the Lucas stuff for a leak on my ps system. I sure hope it works.
Mike

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I found the pin hole leak in my power steering hose. It messed up my hood blanket too, so I'll probably have to replace that as well. Has anyone used steel braid lines instead of the stock Mercedes hose to repair these? If so, do you know a good source for correct size fittings and hose? It just seems to me that that would be a better way to go, and I bet custom made steel lines would be cheaper too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts