Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 C300 4MATIC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I took my car in to the shop the other day to get it looked at, and they said the loud noise coming from the car was due to a power steering pump that was leaked, and the hoses around it also needed to be replaced. I am looking to pay around $1325 before tax, is that a fair price? Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 2009 E350
553 Posts
List price for the pump is around $670, a couple of hoses around $100. Throw in some PS fluid and your around $800 for parts. A few hours labor at $100 per hr (typical dealer rate) and your pretty close to your quote. If your handy with tools and buy a rebuilt pump, you can probably do it for around $500.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
620 Posts
Yeah, no way I'd pay anywhere close to that for a power steering pump. I just did a fuel pump in my wife's Land Rover and, although the part price was steep ($600), I saved on the labor.

I would think the power steering pump would be at least as easy a fix as that was (I had never done one in any car before), so I'd definitely suggest you take that matter into your own hands and save some money.

I just had a conversation with a friend where I told him my intention is to NEVER, EVER go to the dealership for ANY work that isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary again.

When I think back to all the thousands of dollars I spent at the dealership on completely unnecessary expenditures (things I could have done myself, including A and B services which are nothing to do, and MAF swapouts which ended up costing me thousands just by themselves), I could kick myself.

Never again.

Don't let those bastards bleed you, man. Do it yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts