Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha. So that was where the bloody oil was coming from....

Had some drips for a while but really hard to see where from. Last night it all went pear shaped.

I can see the oil running out fast from below the washer tank/ABS pump, but not exactly where.

I've read this https://www.benzworld.org/attachments/2008-replace-power-steering-hose-and-hose-clamp-pdf.213132/

However, I can't see that part number here in Europe.

I guess it is the low pressure connector as per part 7 here ? ( 1998-2002 Mercedes-Benz Power Steering Return Hose 163-460-52-24 | MB Direct Parts )

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool and thanks.

It's like those parts virtually don't exist here?

I am not sure if it is 123 / A163 460 48 24 or 200 / A 163 466 01 09 as the view is a bit obstructed. I am not sure if ii is where it connect to the rad, or the flanged joint. I suspect 123 as the rad has been removed when they did the cranshaft pulley seal and I wonder if it hasn't been refitted correctly. That or the car never got a recall and replacement pipe?

Either way a search on ebay doesn't find anything which is unusual.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,128 Posts
ML400 is a rare beast to start with. There is some EU specific law that forbids sale of Genuine MB parts by third parties.

Try to find local hydraulic hose shop.

·
Registered
01 ML55
271 Posts
ML400 is a rare beast to start with. There is some EU specific law that forbids sale of Genuine MB parts by third parties.

+1 on the hydraulic shop. will we be able to import that Ml400 in 2027?? 500+ lb ft on diesel MPG sounds lovely.

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ML400 is a rare beast to start with.
Yup. Still quite a few over here as diesel is (was) very common.

There is some EU specific law that forbids sale of Genuine MB parts by third parties.
Hmmm. Never heard that one. Could be correct.
Unusual to not find pattern parts though. Hey ho.

Ahhh. Not so easy....... !

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on the hydraulic shop. will we be able to import that Ml400 in 2027?? 500+ lb ft on diesel MPG sounds lovely.
The motor is absolutely lush. Complete beast. Picks up her skirts and dances, when she is in a good mood.

It is everything else that lets it down, as I have discovered.... she has headaches far too often!

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, it looks like the return line to the Radiator - part 200 on your diagram.

Mine looks cranked just before it gets to the rad to get up & over something I can't quite see, but it has that type of banjo fitting where it bolts to the rad.

I'll try & post a pic or two in a bit. Need to get it up, wheel and arch cover off for better access.

So where does the other end connect?? To the rack itself?

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm. This one goes from the bottom of the rad to the back of the rack.

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a bit of video I did.

Not very professiomal as I was rushing... !!

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,121 Posts
Take it to a hydraulic shop as suggested. They will use the metal connectors from the original & replace the rubber part & clamp them. I replaced my PS line the same way. Much better & more reliable than the original MB. Plus you can choose the type of rubber hose you want to use.
If it can be done in Africa, surely it can be done in Spain

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,121 Posts
Read the whole thread. Final result is at post# 17

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I realised with the number of tractors & other farm/constructiom machinery round here there would be someone who knew where to get it fixed!!! Just a case of asking the right friend :)

Try and take it tomoz or Tues.

Now I just need the 40mm socket to replace the harmonic balancer on the Terrano !!

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn.

Ok all back together.

Bit of a wrestling match. Easier to bolt the ends in before popping the pipe in the supports....

The radiator end is real tricky short of pulling out the entire ABS. The hard bit is getting the inner washer on..... patience and small hands are virtues.

The rack end I manage to hold the pipe in place with a decent sized pair of mole grips before trying to screw the bolt in.

So fired her up, was starting to bleed it - top up reservoir, wriggle steering, top up again, and the motor died.

Hmmm. Start it again. Turns over but no start. Damn - I know it was low on fuel - says 25 kms on the screen but I have never let it run that low so no idea how accurate that is. I was going to fill up with diesel but once the pipe was leaking I went straight home, which was just as well as I couldn't have turned another corner.

OK. Grab some fuel & throw that in. But still no starting dammit.

Is there a special trick to bleed the fuel on these?

·
Registered
2002 W163 ML400 CDi
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And done as per this:

Looks good so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts