Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the power steering oil can be drained and replaced?

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
Does anyone know if the power steering oil can be drained and replaced?
I am sure it is possible. I recently replaced the fluid in my c280. I sucked out as much as I could, replaced with fresh fluid (I used Lucas), bled and then ran the car a few minutes. I repeated that several times until the fluid looked clean. Im sure that does not get it all, but removing the fittings and draining the system seemed way to error prone for me.

·
Registered
'90 124.128
241 Posts
P.S.Fluid ReNew

Whatever you do ...
Do Not Erroneously: "Guestimate","Walter Mitty"."Fly by the Seat of Someone's Pants"
an "Engine Running Fluid Change",In which You ATTEMPT to Keep Up with the P.S. Pump.

(A.K.A. You take the Return line and put it into a container,Whilst the "Someone" attempts
to Pour P.S. fluid into the Reservoir at the Same Rate.)
Y'ALL WILL BOTH LOSE!!!

That 'Lil Pump has a Phenomenal FLOW RATE!!!

It is Possible to use THAT method,BUT only if forwarned and ready with @ least 2 Gallons
of P.S. Fluid readily available for "Pour" @ A RAPID RATE.

'Running the P.S.Pump DRY is a Tango Uniform operation.[A.K.A. "Tits Up" or RUINED]

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Was just looking at this utube yesterday about this very subject:

He uses the "turkey baster" method to suck it out over several iterations and replace with new fluid eventually pulling most of the old fluid out without risking running the pump dry or getting air in the system.

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good warnings....

so, how much fluids should we have on hand to have some impact on somewhat replacing the fluids using the turkey baster method?

I actually have an oil suction tool designed for sucking tranny fluid which I might use in this case.... or get a turkey baster.... or theres actually a similar tool at the auto parts store that has slightly larger capacity.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
I just bought a quart of fluid and am planning on doing it today along with a coolant flush and refill. I also picked up a "tool" last week for oil changes and will use it for the PS change:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts